Generic sliding menu -- general javascript comments, too

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Bura Tino, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Bura Tino

    Bura Tino Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to have the kind of menu on the left that can be found on a lot
    of websites: it slides nicely into place when the document is scrolled. Many
    websites also offer the code. You need to put something into the style
    section, some code into the head section, have an onload event and then
    usually some code before the ending </body> tag. I would argue that while
    such code is very educational, it is unmanageable for anyone writing a broad
    web-based application or a website.

    Just think of the complexity that it adds. For example, I'm using java
    server pages and many of pages are as little as 20 lines of code. If I want
    to have a sliding menu on each page, I'll have to add _at least_ 40 lines of
    code to each page and then be mindful of its location, integrity, etc.

    So, has anyone written a generic sliding layer code that is

    1. organized as a .js file (or a couple of .js files)
    2. reasonably customizable (name of sliding layer, left, top, speed of
    sliding into place)
    3. doesn't have functions like "setup()" or "check()" or "start()" which are
    sure to interfere with other js packages

    ?

    Thanks for any info.

    Bura

    PS: On a more general note, I would argue that if anyone wants his/her code
    used, it should be delivered as described above. While I'm an (aspiring)
    professional web developer I feel that writing reliable javascript code is a
    whole profession by itself. I would like to be a consumer and a "reseller"
    of this wonderful technology, I want to avoid dealing with all the annoying
    but necessary stuff like cross-browser compatibility. My idea of a perfectly
    written javascript package? http://javascript.cooldev.com/
    Bura Tino, Aug 12, 2003