Geometry package

Justin Pearson

Hi all,

I'm looking for a geometry package in Python; something that will let
me define line segments, and can tell me if two line segments
intersect. It would be nice if the lines could be defined in n-space
(rather than be confined to 2 or 3 dimensions), but this is not a hard
constraint. Other functionality might include support for polygons,
convex hulls, etc.

I've searched Pypi and found a package called Shapely, but when I
followed its installation instructions, it threw a bunch of errors and
tried to re-install Python :(.

Is there a well-known geometry package I'm missing?

Thanks for your help,
Justin

W. eWatson

Justin said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a geometry package in Python; something that will let
me define line segments, and can tell me if two line segments
intersect. It would be nice if the lines could be defined in n-space
(rather than be confined to 2 or 3 dimensions), but this is not a hard
constraint. Other functionality might include support for polygons,
convex hulls, etc.

I've searched Pypi and found a package called Shapely, but when I
followed its installation instructions, it threw a bunch of errors and
tried to re-install Python :(.

Is there a well-known geometry package I'm missing?

Thanks for your help,
Justin
Somewhere book marked I have a reference on intersection determination. I
need to reference it myself, and will look later. In the meantime, a Google
search on robotics imaging line intersection might do the the trick. Now
that I think about it, the article was aimed at finding the minimal distance
between two lines in space. Anyway, the Google tip might get you started.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Emile van Sebille

Justin said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a geometry package in Python; something that will let
me define line segments, and can tell me if two line segments
intersect.

I used PythonCad for this part -- It didn't take too long to identify
and adapt those parts I needed and extract them from the gui...

http://www.pythoncad.org

HTH,

Emile

Max Erickson

Justin Pearson said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a geometry package in Python; something that will
let me define line segments, and can tell me if two line segments
intersect. It would be nice if the lines could be defined in
n-space (rather than be confined to 2 or 3 dimensions), but this
is not a hard constraint. Other functionality might include
support for polygons, convex hulls, etc.

I've searched Pypi and found a package called Shapely, but when I
followed its installation instructions, it threw a bunch of
errors and tried to re-install Python :(.

Is there a well-known geometry package I'm missing?

Thanks for your help,
Justin

I don't know if it is well known, but you could take a look at
Euclid:

http://partiallydisassembled.net/euclid.html

The geometry support is pretty basic.

max