get blinking cursor in Console, but not in SciTE

RichardOnRails

Hi,

I'm running Ruby 1.5.6 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.
I've got a snippet:
puts "Click to the right of cursor;"
printf "then enter name and press ENTER:"
STDOUT.flush
name = $stdin.gets.chomp

When I run it in a Command window, I get a blinking cursor after the
colon.
When I run it in SciTE, I don't get the cursor.

I checked SciTE's ruby.properties.rb but didn't recognize any option
as cursor-related.

Any Ruby/SciTE jocks with an idea?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

RichardOnRails

Hi,

I'm running Ruby 1.5.6 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.
I've got a snippet:
   puts "Click to the right of cursor;"
   printf "then enter name and press ENTER:"
   STDOUT.flush
   name = $stdin.gets.chomp

When I run it in a Command window, I get a blinking cursor after the
colon.
When I run it in SciTE, I don't get the cursor.

I checked SciTE's ruby.properties.rb but didn't recognize any option
as cursor-related.

Any Ruby/SciTE jocks with an idea?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

Woops. I forgot all I had to do is click anywhere in the right-hand
pane and a cursor would be presented after the colon. (BTW: For
non_SciTE users, the right-hand pane serves as a pseudo-console.)

Best wishes,
Richard

Quintus

Josh Cheek

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM, RichardOnRails <
I'm running Ruby 1.5.6 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.

Looks like your Ruby version is about ten years old.

http://www.ruby-versions.net/vault.html

Not necessarily a problem, but I'd be surprised if you could find relevant
resources about it.

RichardOnRails

You should REALLY upgrade your Ruby! 1.5 is EXTREMELY out of date!

Thanks. That was another mistake in my post. I really running 1.8.6.

Best,
Richard

RichardOnRails

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

I'm running Ruby 1.5.6 over WinXP-Pro/SP3.

Looks like your Ruby version is about ten years old.

Thanks. Actually, reporting that was another of my errors. I meant
to report that I an running 1.8.6.

Best wishes,
Richard

RichardOnRails

Actually, there is one very minor issue left. I'd like to be able to
copy the path of the file to be backed-up to the Windows Clipboard and
then paste into the SciTE right-hand pseudo-console. The pasting
appears to work, but the program actually receives so trash in front
the pasted path. Providing the path by typing into the prompt works
fine, but it's an error-prone mechanism.

I decided to scrap this approach in favor of providing the path as the
first (and only) argument. This works equally well in the console and
SciTE. So I only mentioned this outstanding issue just in case
someone's interested in suggesting a fix.

Best wishes,
Richard