Get client name

libero familymac news

Hy!

sorry for my bad english...

i'm developping web forms in c# and i have to take the client machine name

I try with server variables ( request.servervariables ) and with
request.hostname() hostaddress()

dosn't work because ( i think ) in lan we don't have a dns server then
methods retrieve only ip address

someone say to me that i have to take the "netbios" ( or something like
this ) compuer name

is all right?

how can i do it?

thanks & another time sorry for my realy bad english!

Ciao Maurizio

S. Justin Gengo [MCP]

Maurizio,

Try:

System.Net.Dns.GetHostName

It should return the machine name regardless of it being on a network or
not...

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

libero familymac news

Oh thanks for your answer!

I have already try this method, but i've to think if in my local area
network ther's not a dns server and in this case the metod return the ip
adress of the host

I think that the only method to get the computer name is by vbscript or
javascript on page that run on client browser but i'm not so god with
javascript and vbscript...

bye Maurizio

S. Justin Gengo [MCP]

Maurizio,

I didn't realize you meant the client name from a web app. I don't think you
can even do that with VBScript or Javascript. I believe you would need an
active x control. Permission settings will keep that from being revealed I
believe.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

libero familymac news

a ok... sorry for the miss understanding

is complicate to develop?

do you have link for sample or something can help me?

thanks!

bye Maurizio

DavidG

Might not be applicable to your circumstances but If your application
is LAN based and used by internal users you could consider switching
to a smart client winforms app so that you can:

- Use your existing asp.net by having a webbrowser control on the
windows form
- Access Environemnt.MachineName for passing to the server?

I don't thnk this is too much work to achieve and I've used this
approach before to solve security issues in accessing local machine
resources

HTH

David Gray
ASP.NET/C# Developer/Architect (MCAD.NET)

libero familymac news said:
Oh thanks for your answer!

I have already try this method, but i've to think if in my local area
network ther's not a dns server and in this case the metod return the ip
adress of the host

I think that the only method to get the computer name is by vbscript or
javascript on page that run on client browser but i'm not so god with
javascript and vbscript...

bye Maurizio

"S. Justin Gengo [MCP]" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> ha
scritto nel messaggio Maurizio,

[...]

libero familymac news

Thanks to all!

but i can't do something like this!

maybe i pretend to solve the bug in component that need computer name & take
the ip address to continue my work!

i've understand that the netbiosname of the client is not accessble by
internet for security protections of shure

thanks

bie Maurizio