get Connection reset by peer on Windows XP box

ap

Hello,
Prior to now, I was using Windows 2k on a pentium 4 machine
and running some software that interfaces to test equipment that
uses the Telnet (Java) program to interact with network devices.

Since then, I got a new notebook with Windows XP and Office 2003 and
also has VPN/Ipass installed, but not running.

When I try to run the same software on this new box, I get
the java.net.SocketException: connection reset by peer.

There appears to be a problem with the Telnet (Java) program.

has anyone run into this or knows why this happens?

Thanks