get mixin's name

Payton Swick

A somewhat weird situation.

I have a module which I include in a class using Module#extend. That
module defines an instance method which returns the name of the module
that defined the method. Currently, I do that by hard-coding the string
into the method definition, but it seems that there should really be a
better way.

Here's some code:

irb(main):001:0> module Awesome
irb(main):002:1> def who_am_i
irb(main):003:2> 'Awesome' # Repeating myself, bad!
irb(main):004:2> end
irb(main):005:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):006:0> class One
irb(main):007:1> def initialize(what)
irb(main):008:2> extend what
irb(main):009:2> end
irb(main):010:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):011:0> a = One.new(Awesome)
=> #<One:0x40322710>
irb(main):012:0> a.who_am_i
=> "Awesome"

-Payton

Brian Mitchell

A somewhat weird situation.

I have a module which I include in a class using Module#extend. That
module defines an instance method which returns the name of the module
that defined the method. Currently, I do that by hard-coding the string
into the method definition, but it seems that there should really be a
better way.

The string is simple though... but if you want another way you could
look at Module#ancestors on the singleton class (since you use
extend).

module A end
a =3D "some_object".extend A #=3D> "abc"
singleton_class =3D class << a; self end # #<Class:#<String:...>>
singleton_class.ancestors #=3D> [A, String, Enumerable, Comparable,
Object, Kernel]
singleton_class.ancestors.first #=3D> A
# If you want it in string form:
singleton_class.ancestors.first.to_s #=3D> "A"

You would want to wrap this up in some sort of method (at least the
class << part).

Brian.

dblack

Hi --

[...]

Does this help?

module Awesome
s = self
define_method("who_am_i") { s }
end

obj = Object.new
obj.extend(Awesome)
p obj.who_am_i # Awesome

There's a bit of semantic weirdness in the object claiming to be the
module :) But anyway, that's one way to get the module object into
one of its own instance methods.

David

--
David A. Black
(e-mail address removed)

http://www.manning.com/books/black

Robert Klemme

Payton Swick said:
[...]

If you want to find out the defining class of a method you can use #method:
=> "#<Method: One(Awesome)#foo>"

Btw, what do you need that for?

Kind regards

robert

Payton Swick

The goal was basically this for a GUI (the answer is probably that
there's a better way):

module Layout
# ... layout stuff
def layout_name
'none'
end
end

module CoolLayout
include Layout
# ... override some layout stuff.
def layout_name
'CoolLayout' # Not DRY
end
end

class Window
def layout=(l)
extend l
end
end

a = Window.new
a.layout = CoolLayout
puts "This window has the layout #{a.layout_name}"

-Payton

Robert Klemme

Payton Swick said:
The goal was basically this for a GUI (the answer is probably that
there's a better way):

module Layout
# ... layout stuff
def layout_name
'none'
end
end

module CoolLayout
include Layout
# ... override some layout stuff.
def layout_name
'CoolLayout' # Not DRY
end
end

class Window
def layout=(l)
extend l
end
end

IMHO this is a bad idea because you cannot change layout that way multiple
times. Once you extended an instance by a module this module stays in place
even if you extend with a different module. Also, a Window *has* a layout -
so composition is far more appropriate here than inheritance. And if you do
that and model layouts as independent class hierarchy you can simply use the
layout instance's class or it's name for the layout name.
a = Window.new
a.layout = CoolLayout
puts "This window has the layout #{a.layout_name}"

I'd prefer to let the layout answer the question after its name which also
nicely fits with the composition approach - and it helps keep the interface
of Window focused: