getaddrinfo not found on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5

Discussion in 'Python' started by edcdave@gmail.com, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to get MoinMoin 1.5.4 running with Python 2.3.4 (installed
    from an SCO Skunkworks binary). Python 2.3.4 (#1, Aug 27 2004,
    18:22:39) [GCC 2.95.3 20030528 (SCO/p5)] on sco_sv3

    One of the MoinMoin modules attempts to import cgi and triggers this
    traceback:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./moin.cgi", line 43, in ?
    from MoinMoin.request import RequestCGI
    File "/usr/moin/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/request.py",
    line 10, in ?
    import os, re, time, sys, cgi, StringIO
    File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/cgi.py", line 39, in
    ?
    import urllib
    File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py", line 26,
    in ?
    import socket
    File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 44,
    in ?
    import _socket
    ImportError: dynamic linker: /usr/bin/python: relocation error: symbol
    not found: getaddrinfo; referenced from:
    /opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_socketmodule.so

    getaddrinfo is not supported in OpenServer 5, but it is available under
    the UDK. That is, the function is present in /udk/usr/lib/libsocket.so.
    I've tried adjusting LD_LIBRARY_PATH without success. My questions:

    1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
    If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?

    2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?

    3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

    Thanks,
    Dave Harris

    , Jul 21, 2006

  2. Steve M Guest

    In case you haven't heard Microsoft is suing SCO for stealing his
    Internet concepts and letters and numbers, so you should probably just
    ditch OpenServer and get Debian like all the smart people have done.

    I guess the quality of SCO software has declined over the last forty or
    fifty years and they had to have David Boies compile libsocket and that
    is probably why this broken symbol problem is happenig.

    I'm sorry if you cannot switch from the SCO platform, in which case
    this message may not be very helpful. Have a nice day!

    Steve M, Jul 21, 2006

  3. David Reed Guest

    OT Re: getaddrinfo not found on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5

    On Jul 21, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Steve M wrote:

    > In case you haven't heard Microsoft is suing SCO for stealing his
    > Internet concepts and letters and numbers, so you should probably just
    > ditch OpenServer and get Debian like all the smart people have done.
    >
    > I guess the quality of SCO software has declined over the last
    > forty or
    > fifty years and they had to have David Boies compile libsocket and
    > that
    > is probably why this broken symbol problem is happenig.
    >
    > I'm sorry if you cannot switch from the SCO platform, in which case
    > this message may not be very helpful. Have a nice day!

    This is way off-topic, but it's SCO that is suing IBM and IBM
    countersuing SCO. It appears that Microsoft was helping bankroll
    SCO's lawsuit. If you want to see how it's going, look at a graph of
    the SCOX (the ticker symbol) stock price since 2003 (paying close
    attention to the more recent price as the judge has started ruling on
    discovery issues). It was in 2003 when they started claiming everyone
    using Linux owed them money and they sued IBM for billions of
    dollars. Also see groklaw.net if you really want to know more about
    it. In the interest of full disclosure, I made money shorting SCOX
    stock from mid 2003 to mid 2004 (borrowed and sold at $11, bought
    back at $5).

    Dave

    David Reed, Jul 21, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > 1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
    > If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?
    >
    > 2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?
    >
    > 3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

    There is an autoconf test to determine whether getaddrinfo is
    available on the system. You should study that test to find out
    why it thinks the function is available when it is actually not.
    If you can't do that, you can manually edit pyconfig.h to
    change the outcome of configure.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Jul 23, 2006

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > 1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
    > > If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?
    > >
    > > 2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?
    > >
    > > 3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

    > There is an autoconf test to determine whether getaddrinfo is
    > available on the system. You should study that test to find out
    > why it thinks the function is available when it is actually not.
    > If you can't do that, you can manually edit pyconfig.h to
    > change the outcome of configure.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it July 24 when I am back in
    the office.

    I've dug into it further and, on the surface, it appears that IPv6 was
    identified as available when the binary was built for OSR 5. IPv6 is
    not available for OSR5, so the binary was built on OSR 6 and
    mislabeled, or the autoconf test failed.

    Thanks again, Martin, for the relevant reply,
    Dave Harris

    , Jul 23, 2006