GetElementByID nog working for DIVs in Firefox?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jan Doggen, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. Jan Doggen

    Jan Doggen Guest

    Hello,

    The following code displays the name for all three elements in IE, but fails
    for the1st and 3rd in Firefox.
    What could be going on?
    I tried SPAN instead of DIV doesn;t work either.
    (What I finally want is to set style.invisibility for the text in that DIV)

    TIA
    Jan

    <HTML>
    <BODY onload="Init()">

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function Init()
    {
    if (document.all)
    var msg = 'document.all OK'
    else
    var msg = 'document.all N/A';

    if (document.getElementById)
    alert(msg + '\ndocument.getElementById OK')
    else
    alert(msg + '\ndocument.getElementById N/A');

    var divm = document.getElementById("menu");
    if (divm)
    msg = 'getelementbyid(menu): ' + divm.name
    else
    msg = 'getelementbyid(menu): N/A';

    var ff = document.getElementById("varProfBevoegdheden");
    if (ff)
    msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(varprofbevoegdheden): ' + ff.name
    else
    msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(varprofbevoegdheden): N/A';

    var divi = document.getElementById("bvtext");
    if (divi)
    msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(bvtext): ' + divi.name
    else
    msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(bvtext): N/A';

    alert(msg);
    }
    </script>

    <select id="varProfBevoegdheden" name="varProfBevoegdheden" size="4">
    <OPTION VALUE="1">Geen voorkeur\n.v.t.
    <OPTION VALUE="2">1e graads
    <OPTION VALUE="4">2e graads
    </select>

    </BODY>

    Jan Doggen, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Jan Doggen wrote:
    > The following code displays the name for all three elements
    > in IE, but fails for the1st and 3rd in Firefox.
    > What could be going on?

    The first and third elements are DIV elements and DIV elements do not
    have NAME attributes in HTML. Firefox is representing this truth by not
    creating non-standard properties of these element for any NAME
    attributes included in the mark-up for those elements (and any other for
    which NAME attributes are not defined), while IE transfer just about any
    attribute's value defined in the HTML onto a property of the
    corresponding element.

    > (What I finally want is to set style.invisibility for the
    > text in that DIV)

    You have successfully retrieved references to the elements using their
    ID attributes so setting properties of their - style - objects should
    not be a problem.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jul 19, 2006