GetElementByID nog working for DIVs in Firefox?

Jan Doggen

Hello,

The following code displays the name for all three elements in IE, but fails
for the1st and 3rd in Firefox.
What could be going on?
I tried SPAN instead of DIV doesn;t work either.
(What I finally want is to set style.invisibility for the text in that DIV)

TIA
Jan

<HTML>
<BODY onload="Init()">

<script type="text/javascript">
function Init()
{
if (document.all)
var msg = 'document.all OK'
else
var msg = 'document.all N/A';

if (document.getElementById)
alert(msg + '\ndocument.getElementById OK')
else
alert(msg + '\ndocument.getElementById N/A');

var divm = document.getElementById("menu");
if (divm)
msg = 'getelementbyid(menu): ' + divm.name
else
msg = 'getelementbyid(menu): N/A';

var ff = document.getElementById("varProfBevoegdheden");
if (ff)
msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(varprofbevoegdheden): ' + ff.name
else
msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(varprofbevoegdheden): N/A';

var divi = document.getElementById("bvtext");
if (divi)
msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(bvtext): ' + divi.name
else
msg = msg + '\ngetelementbyid(bvtext): N/A';

alert(msg);
}
</script>

<select id="varProfBevoegdheden" name="varProfBevoegdheden" size="4">
<OPTION VALUE="1">Geen voorkeur\n.v.t.
<OPTION VALUE="2">1e graads
<OPTION VALUE="4">2e graads
</select>

</BODY>

Richard Cornford

Jan said:
The following code displays the name for all three elements
in IE, but fails for the1st and 3rd in Firefox.
What could be going on?

The first and third elements are DIV elements and DIV elements do not
have NAME attributes in HTML. Firefox is representing this truth by not
creating non-standard properties of these element for any NAME
attributes included in the mark-up for those elements (and any other for
which NAME attributes are not defined), while IE transfer just about any
attribute's value defined in the HTML onto a property of the
corresponding element.
(What I finally want is to set style.invisibility for the
text in that DIV)

You have successfully retrieved references to the elements using their
ID attributes so setting properties of their - style - objects should
not be a problem.

Richard.