gets()

jacob navia

Look, I retire everything I said.

Let's leave the standard as it is. With gets(), asctime(), etc.

Why bother?

I did use gets() once in my linker, and I even left it there.

And lcc-win?

It is a bad hack done by a single guy that doesn't have the
energy to go on discussing nonsense in this newsgroup.

Forget it. It doesn't follow any dtsandard, it is full of bugs
and even it doesn't complain when presented // comments!

C has the best library, the best people, the best everything.
Nothing should be changed and Heathfield is the only one that
counts here.

Have a nice time guys.

Keith Thompson

George Peter Staplin said:
jacob navia wrote: [...]
C has the best library, the best people, the best everything.
Nothing should be changed and Heathfield is the only one that
counts here.
[...]

I have read this newsgroup for years, but I haven't posted much. I don't
think Heathfield is the only one that counts.

Neither do I. Neither does Richard Heathfield, or anyone else, and to
the best of my knowledge nobody has ever said or implied any such
thing.

[snip]

Curtis Dyer

jacob navia said:
Look, I retire everything I said.

Let's leave the standard as it is. With gets(), asctime(), etc.

Why bother?

I did use gets() once in my linker, and I even left it there.

And lcc-win?

It is a bad hack done by a single guy that doesn't have the
energy to go on discussing nonsense in this newsgroup.

Personally, I think your implementation is an impressive technical
feat; I doubt I could ever write a compiler. From what I've read,
most regulars seem to have a similar respect for your abilities as
well. However, just because someone points out a perceived negative
point about your implementation or disagrees with you doesn't mean
they're being hostile or judgmental. To me, it seems like they're
actually taking an interest and trying to help.

Your negative experiences seem to be the result of your getting
defensive just because someone disagrees with you. Whether they're
wrong or right, why let it bother you so much?
Forget it. It doesn't follow any dtsandard, it is full of bugs
and even it doesn't complain when presented // comments!

C has the best library, the best people, the best everything.
Nothing should be changed and Heathfield is the only one that
counts here.

No reasonable programmers I've met assert any one language or library
is best. That seems to be the case with most posters here. The
Richard Heathfield remark seems pretty arbitrary, I'm not sure what
that's about.

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
And lcc-win? [...]
Forget it. It doesn't follow any dtsandard, it is full of bugs
and even it doesn't complain when presented // comments!
[...]

jacob, I am at a loss to understand why you keep bringing up the //
issue. One person, probably a troll, complained that lcc-win doesn't
issue a diagnostic for // comments. The "regulars" unanimously
(or at least those who responded) *defended* lcc-win and flamed the
troll to a crisp, for the very simple reason that since there's no
claim that lcc-win conforms to C90, it's not required to diagnose
// comments.

Is everything written by anyone you dislike automatically a personal
attack, even when we agree with you?

Get a grip, man.