getting data from a port in use

Dana Marcusanu

Hi to all,
I am trying to use Python to get the data received at a specific port (in
use) on my computer. I already tried below code which seems to hang at the
statement accepting connections. I don't know what else I can try. Any
suggestions will be welcome.

import socket, select, os

PORT = 2005
s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
s.bind((socket.gethostname(), PORT))
s.listen(1)
work_socket, addr = s.accept()
data = s.recv(1024)
print data
s.close()

Thank you, Dana

http://my.yahoo.com

Grant Edwards

I am trying to use Python to get the data received at a specific port (in
use) on my computer.

What do you mean "in use"? You mean you want to evesdropt on
data that's being sent to an existing connection? If so,
you'll need to use something like the pcap library.
I already tried below code which seems to hang at the
statement accepting connections. I don't know what else I can try. Any
suggestions will be welcome.

import socket, select, os

PORT = 2005
s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
s.bind((socket.gethostname(), PORT))
s.listen(1)
work_socket, addr = s.accept()
data = s.recv(1024)

No matter what you're trying to do, this isn't right. Once the
connection has been accepted, you have to read data from the
socket returned by the accept() call.