Getting Date Difference in Java.

Lucky

Hi
In oracle, if I need to get the sysdate, I would do some thing like this
select sysdate from dual;
And if I need , the difference between sysdate and a specific date ,say
"pdate" ,I would do,
select sysdate - pdate from dual
This would give me the difference in days ,so for ex
select sysdate -to_date('01-JAN-2005') from dual
would give me 125 as the number of days.
---
Now what I want to know is that in java how do I this. I tried to play
around with the Date and Calendar objects.
These objects are giving me individual feilds like day,month and year etc,
but not date as a whole. So my question is

1. How do I get the date in java in a specific format (in any format I
choose). What is the best object for this.
2. How do I get the difference in 2 dates, which should give me in number of
days.

Your quick responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

PS. By the way how do we do the same in JavaScript.

Joseph Dionne

Lucky said:
[...]

Look up DateForamt* classes, and date1.getTime() - date2.getTime() gives
you the delta. Hope that helps.

joseph

Igor Kolomiyets

Difference date1.getTime() - date2.getTime() will be in milliseconds. To
get number of days divide it by 86400000L.