Getting Enclosure Contents using Rome RSS parser

Arne Vajhøj

On 30/04/13 21:59, Lew wrote:
Chuck Johnson wrote:
[snip]
And I didn't ask for all your code, I asked for an SSCCE.
How much smaller and more self contained do you imagine it could
be?
Chuck hasn't provided any SSCCE, at lease not anything in the true
spirit.
2) I'm a working student who is just working on a personal project
for fun; I don't have lots of time. I did this same project in
Python and it took me nowhere near the time it is taking me in Java.
I guess it's my naive belief that a programmer should be able to
reuse someone's code without spending as much time studying it as it
would to just write my own.

Maybe Python is better for the given task.

Maybe you are better at Python than at Java.
3) As for the SSCCE, I don't know what more I can give you. Like I
said before in my first post, you have all the code I've wrote, save
the import statements and class declaration, which I didn't include
because I was trying to adhere to SSCCE.

One of the C's stand for compilable so excluding imports and class
declaration is not really adhering to SSCCE.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Chuck Johnson wrote:

[attribution restored: please attribute citations]
Lew wrote:
First of all, OP, don't ever do this:

@SuppressWarnings("rawtypes") ...

Second, give us this, please:

http://sscce.org/

As to docs for Rome, where have you looked so far?

I suppressed warnings because I'm just trying to get Rome to work,

A) Not relevant.
B) Not really going to do what you intend.
C) Don't use raw types.

Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
that has a method that return a raw type!!!!
Well, you have a point but:
Chuck has demonstrated only a serious lack of gumption.
Here is what I tried: (everything works great, but getting enclosure
contents/values)
And then copy pasted a few lines from some web site and added a single
(misguided) line at the end, but hasn't shown that he understands any
of it.

I can't find the docs.
I can't read the docs.
I guess it returns a List, what now boss?
It will take a lot of time.
It will take a lot of effort
I was looking more for a wiki/tutorial, or someone who has used it before.

comp.lang.java.rentaprogrammer/tutor is <thataway>

Possible.

But then there must be better points to make than objecting
against that @SuppressWarnings.

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
But then there must be better points to make than objecting
against that @SuppressWarnings.

You haven't established that that is an imperative, nor that the point
about suppressing raw-type warnings is not good, nor that other points were
not made, since they were.

It is a rather important principle in Java not to use raw types.

So how is that not a good point? Especially when served as part of a smörgasbord of
useful questions, advice and requests for clarification.

How about you not dissuade the OP from following good advice?

Arne Vajhøj

You haven't established that that is an imperative, nor that the point
about suppressing raw-type warnings is not good, nor that other points were
not made, since they were.

It is a rather important principle in Java not to use raw types.

So how is that not a good point? Especially when served as part of a smörgasbord of
useful questions, advice and requests for clarification.

How about you not dissuade the OP from following good advice?

Let me repeat myself:

#Why not tell him what you do when you are using a library
#that has a method that return a raw type!!!!

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Could you be a bit more specific.

I checked the first 8 links and they either did not suggest
a solution or suggested @SuppressWarnings.

I mean: you did try it and found a link before posting right?

I tried it and found dozens of links mentioned.

If you don't like it, come up with a better query.

What's the matter, you don't know how to use a search engine?

I'm not here to give Google lessons. Look it up yourself.

Arne Vajhøj

I tried it and found dozens of links mentioned.

If you don't like it, come up with a better query.

What's the matter, you don't know how to use a search engine?

I'm not here to give Google lessons. Look it up yourself.

Are you telling me that you are criticizing someone for
using @SuppressWarnings in a specific context and you
don't have an alternative to suggest?

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Are you telling me that you are criticizing someone for
using @SuppressWarnings in a specific context and you
don't have an alternative to suggest?

No.