    I am trying to record how long an operation takes, but can't seem to
    find a function that will allow me to record the timestamp in
    milliseconds, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

    mjs7231, Feb 16, 2005

  2. mjs7231 wrote:

    > I am trying to record how long an operation takes, but can't seem to
    > find a function that will allow me to record the timestamp in
    > milliseconds, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

    I have no idea where you look - but the time-module has IMHO a descriptive
    enough name - so look there and be a happy camper.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch

    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 16, 2005

  3. mjs7231

    John Hunter Guest

    mjs7231> This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not
    mjs7231> seconds.. as stated above.

    Well seconds/1000.0 = millseconds -- or are you worries about floating
    point error?

    7 >>> from datetime import datetime
    8 >>> dt = datetime.now()
    9 >>> dt.microsecond
    Out[9]: 20222

    Converting to milliseconds is left as an exercise for the reader...

    See also the timeit module...

    JDH

    John Hunter, Feb 16, 2005
  4. mjs7231

    mjs7231 Guest

    "Return the time as a floating point number expressed in seconds since
    the epoch, in UTC. Note that even though the time is always returned as
    a floating point number, not all systems provide time with a better
    precision than 1 second. While this function normally returns
    non-decreasing values, it can return a lower value than a previous call
    if the system clock has been set back between the two calls. "

    This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not seconds.. as stated
    above.

    mjs7231, Feb 16, 2005
  5. mjs7231 wrote:

    > "Return the time as a floating point number expressed in seconds since
    > the epoch, in UTC. Note that even though the time is always returned as
    > a floating point number, not all systems provide time with a better
    > precision than 1 second. While this function normally returns
    > non-decreasing values, it can return a lower value than a previous call
    > if the system clock has been set back between the two calls. "
    >
    > This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not seconds.. as stated
    > above.

    If your system _can_ provide better accuracy than seconds, it is returned as
    fraction of a second. That is the whole point the result of time being a
    float and not an int.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch

    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 16, 2005
  6. mjs7231

    jdonnell Guest

    "This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not seconds.. as
    stated
    above. "

    The docs are not very clear. I had the same issue when I was trying to
    do the same thing, but the time and datetime modules return
    milliseconds on my linux machines.

    jdonnell, Feb 16, 2005
  7. "mjs7231" <> wrote:

    > "Return the time as a floating point number expressed in seconds since
    > the epoch, in UTC. Note that even though the time is always returned as
    > a floating point number, not all systems provide time with a better
    > precision than 1 second. While this function normally returns
    > non-decreasing values, it can return a lower value than a previous call
    > if the system clock has been set back between the two calls. "
    >
    > This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not seconds.. as stated
    > above.

    are you sure you know what a millisecond is?

    can you spot the milliseconds here:

    >>> import time
    >>> time.time()

    1108575508.234
    >>> time.time()

    1108575515.062

    or here:

    >>> time.clock()

    1.6349019714375455
    >>> time.clock()

    2.2402415685960024
    >>> time.clock()

    2.7715522631434739

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Feb 16, 2005
  8. mjs7231

    Brian Beck Guest

    mjs7231 wrote:
    > This is no good, I am looking for milliseconds, not seconds.. as stated
    > above.

    That IS what you want.

    seconds * 100 = milliseconds

    --
    Brian Beck
    Adventurer of the First Order

    Brian Beck, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Brian Beck wrote:

    > That IS what you want.
    >
    > seconds * 100 = milliseconds

    are you sure you know what a millisecond is?

    (duck)

    Fredrik Lundh, Feb 16, 2005
  10. mjs7231

    Amand Tihon Guest

    Brian Beck wrote:
    > That IS what you want.
    >
    > seconds * 100 = milliseconds

    May I assume that this IS what you want ?

    ()___
    ()//__/)_________________()
    ||(___)//#/_/#/_/#/_/#()/||
    ||----|#| |#|_|#|_|#|_|| ||
    ||____|_|#|_|#|_|#|_|#||/||
    || |#|_|#|_|#|_|#|_||

    :)

    (credits to jgs, found on http://www.ascii-art.de/ascii/ab/bed.txt)

    --
    Amand Tihon

    Amand Tihon, Feb 16, 2005
  11. mjs7231

    Brian Beck Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    > Brian Beck wrote:
    >

    >>That IS what you want.
    >>
    >>seconds * 100 = milliseconds

    > are you sure you know what a millisecond is?
    >
    > (duck)

    Touché.

    But it was a typo.

    Brian Beck, Feb 16, 2005
  12. mjs7231

    Curt Guest

    On 2005-02-16, Brian Beck <> wrote:

    >>>seconds * 100 = milliseconds

    >> are you sure you know what a millisecond is?
    >>
    >> (duck)

    > Touché.
    >
    > But it was a typo.

    Oh, you meant 'seconds / 100 = milliseconds'?

    (canard)

    Curt, Feb 17, 2005
  13. mjs7231

    Brian Beck Guest

    Curt wrote:
    > Oh, you meant 'seconds / 100 = milliseconds'?
    >
    > (canard)

    I assume you're suggesting that there are two typos in my original post
    (the * and the 100)...

    Despite a millisecond being a thousandth of a second, given the number
    of seconds provided by the time module, he does have to *multiply* by a
    thousand to get the number of milliseconds.

    2 seconds * 1000 = 2000 milliseconds

    So, aside from the 100 in the original post, it may look misleading, but
    that is what he would need to do...

    Brian Beck, Feb 17, 2005

    Martin Christensen, Feb 17, 2005
  15. mjs7231

    Brian Beck Guest

    Martin Christensen wrote:
    > A math teacher! A math teacher! My kingdom for a math teacher!
    >
    > Martin

    Man, this is the hottest topic on c.l.py since that Lazaridis guy...

    Brian Beck, Feb 17, 2005

    Martin Christensen, Feb 17, 2005