Getting SocketTimeoutException when trying to contact web service

Discussion in 'Java' started by laredotornado, May 13, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I'm using WebLogic 9.2.2 with Java 1.5. I'm trying to contact a web
    service, which runs on http, port 80. Although I can SSH in to the
    weblogic server and run "wget http://myservice/WSDL", when I try and
    contact it through my code, I'm getting

    ERROR 2009-05-13 09:35:54,521 -
    [com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm::contactWPS] - Failed to
    contact provisioning service.
    java.rmi.RemoteException: SOAPFaultException - FaultCode [{http://
    schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Server] FaultString [Failed to
    receive message java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed outRead
    timed out] FaultActor [null] Detail
    [<detail>java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
    </detail>]; nested exception is:
    javax.xml.rpc.soap.SOAPFaultException: Failed to receive
    message java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed outRead timed out
    at
    com.myco.regui.provisioning.client.ProvisioningAccountServicePortType_Stub.get
    (ProvisioningAccountServicePortType_Stub.java:37)
    at com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm.contactWPS
    (AccountsForm.java:216)
    at
    com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm.validateAccountid
    (AccountsForm.java:167)
    at
    com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm.validatePCAccountId
    (AccountsForm.java:135)
    at
    com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm._validatePCFields
    (AccountsForm.java:116)
    at com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm.validate
    (AccountsForm.java:90)
    at
    org.apache.struts.chain.commands.servlet.ValidateActionForm.validate
    (ValidateActionForm.java:58)
    at
    org.apache.struts.chain.commands.AbstractValidateActionForm.execute
    (AbstractValidateActionForm.java:120)
    at org.apache.struts.chain.commands.ActionCommandBase.execute
    (ActionCommandBase.java:51)
    at org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute
    (ChainBase.java:191)
    at org.apache.commons.chain.generic.LookupCommand.execute
    (LookupCommand.java:305)
    at org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute
    (ChainBase.java:191)
    at org.apache.struts.chain.ComposableRequestProcessor.process
    (ComposableRequestProcessor.java:283)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process
    (ActionServlet.java:1913)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost
    (ActionServlet.java:462)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
    763)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
    856)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper
    $ServletServiceAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:227)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper.invokeServlet
    (StubSecurityHelper.java:125)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute
    (ServletStubImpl.java:283)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute
    (ServletStubImpl.java:175)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext
    $ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:3231)
    at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs
    (AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
    at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs
    (SecurityManager.java:121)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.securedExecute
    (WebAppServletContext.java:2002)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.execute
    (WebAppServletContext.java:1908)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.run
    (ServletRequestImpl.java:1362)
    at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:209)
    at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:181)
    Caused by: javax.xml.rpc.soap.SOAPFaultException: Failed to receive
    message java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed outRead timed out
    at weblogic.wsee.codec.soap11.SoapCodec.decodeFault
    (SoapCodec.java:273)
    at weblogic.wsee.ws.dispatch.client.CodecHandler.decodeFault
    (CodecHandler.java:106)
    at weblogic.wsee.ws.dispatch.client.CodecHandler.decode
    (CodecHandler.java:91)
    at weblogic.wsee.ws.dispatch.client.CodecHandler.handleFault
    (CodecHandler.java:79)
    at weblogic.wsee.handler.HandlerIterator.handleFault
    (HandlerIterator.java:254)
    at weblogic.wsee.handler.HandlerIterator.handleResponse
    (HandlerIterator.java:224)
    at
    weblogic.wsee.ws.dispatch.client.ClientDispatcher.handleResponse
    (ClientDispatcher.java:161)
    at weblogic.wsee.ws.dispatch.client.ClientDispatcher.dispatch
    (ClientDispatcher.java:116)
    at weblogic.wsee.ws.WsStub.invoke(WsStub.java:89)
    at weblogic.wsee.jaxrpc.StubImpl._invoke(StubImpl.java:335)
    at
    com.myco.regui.provisioning.client.ProvisioningAccountServicePortType_Stub.get
    (ProvisioningAccountServicePortType_Stub.java:32)
    ... 28 more

    Does anyone know what the next steps I need to take to troubleshoot
    this problem? Thanks, - Dave
    laredotornado, May 13, 2009

  2. In article
    <>,
    laredotornado <> wrote:

    > I'm using WebLogic 9.2.2 with Java 1.5. I'm trying to contact a web
    > service, which runs on http, port 80. Although I can SSH in to the
    > weblogic server and run "wget http://myservice/WSDL", when I try and
    > contact it through my code, I'm getting
    >
    > ERROR 2009-05-13 09:35:54,521 -
    > [com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm::contactWPS] - Failed to
    > contact provisioning service.

    [...]
    > Does anyone know what the next steps I need to take to troubleshoot
    > this problem?

    On the server, check netstat; on the client, try ping <host>, telenet
    <host> 80, curl or wget.

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, May 14, 2009

  3. laredotornado

    Jim Guest

    On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:37:29 -0400, "John B. Matthews"
    <> wrote:

    >In article
    ><>,
    > laredotornado <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using WebLogic 9.2.2 with Java 1.5. I'm trying to contact a web
    >> service, which runs on http, port 80. Although I can SSH in to the
    >> weblogic server and run "wget http://myservice/WSDL", when I try and
    >> contact it through my code, I'm getting
    >>
    >> ERROR 2009-05-13 09:35:54,521 -
    >> [com.myco.regui.struts.accounts.AccountsForm::contactWPS] - Failed to
    >> contact provisioning service.

    >[...]
    >> Does anyone know what the next steps I need to take to troubleshoot
    >> this problem?

    >On the server, check netstat; on the client, try ping <host>, telenet
    ><host> 80, curl or wget.

    Any chance that you are going through a proxy?

    Jim
    Jim, May 14, 2009