getting the source code from a .exe?

kira_yamoto

is it possible to get the source code from a .exe file? i know for a
fact that the .exe was made from c++

Erik Wikström

is it possible to get the source code from a .exe file? i know for a
fact that the .exe was made from c++

You can ask the one who created a.exe.

Kai Wolf

is it possible to get the source code from a .exe file? i know for a
fact that the .exe was made from c++

No, it's not possible to recieve the code this way.
You never know for example which optimizations the specific compiler did
etc.
You may could use a decompiler, but the results won't satisfy you, I
guess :p

Jerry Coffin

(e-mail address removed)>, (e-mail address removed)
says...
is it possible to get the source code from a .exe file? i know for a
fact that the .exe was made from c++

It's possible to turn executable code back into source code -- but it
won't be much like the original source code. My own experience has been
that disassembling code is reasonable, but attempting to re-create high
level source rarely produces usable results.

Ioannis Gyftos

is it possible to get the source code from a .exe file? i know for a
fact that the .exe was made from c++

I was involved with game-modding a few years ago, and specifically a
~2.8Mb executable written in C.

I did try a decompiler once (named Rec, i think). First noticeable
thing was that the decompiler would simply crash with such large input
(or for all i know it could be callbacks crashing it, dunno). Apart
from that, the input you'd get lacked symbols, so all function and
variable names were based on addresses, making the 'code' far less
than human readable. Of course, the 'code' consisted only of simple
constructs like for. There is no way (except for social engineering?)
to get the original code, even if the executable contains debugging
and symbol information, and what you do get is hardly usable.

Eventually I found out that W32Dasm and a debugger was a far more
productive combination (even if i had no damn space to add my own
stuff but that's another issue).