Getting User Input after getting Input from a file

Discussion in 'C++' started by dei3cmix@uga.edu, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hey, I am having a problem with a program I am working on. Basically,
    the first part of the program gets input from a file using cin.getline.
    Then the second part, (still in the same main as the first part) needs
    to get input from the user, and I want to do this with cin.getline
    also. The problem I am getting, is when I run the program, the text if
    read in from the file correctly, but it seems to just skip over the
    cin.getline when I want to get input from the user. I think this is
    having something to do with the cin.getline still trying to read the
    file, and getting the EOF and returning null, instead of pausing for
    the user input. I want it to stop trying to get input from the file,
    and get input from the user on the command line. Any help on how to fix
    this? Thanks in advance.

    My program: (in pseudocode)

    int main ()
    {
    //getting text from file
    while ( cin.getline ( text [], size, '\n' ) )
    {
    //processing text from file

    }

    //getting input from user
    bool b = false; //if 1 is entered by user, b is set to true and
    program ends

    while ( !b )
    {
    cin.getline ( userinput [], usize, '\n' );
    //check to see if user entered 1
    if (user didnt enter 1)
    {
    process user input
    }

    else
    b = true;

    }

    return 0;
    }//end main

    , Mar 22, 2006

  2. Walter Guest

    Is there a way to redirect cin from stdio to file io in application?

    Walter, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Daniel T. Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hey, I am having a problem with a program I am working on. Basically,
    > the first part of the program gets input from a file using cin.getline.
    > Then the second part, (still in the same main as the first part) needs
    > to get input from the user, and I want to do this with cin.getline
    > also. The problem I am getting, is when I run the program, the text if
    > read in from the file correctly, but it seems to just skip over the
    > cin.getline when I want to get input from the user. I think this is
    > having something to do with the cin.getline still trying to read the
    > file, and getting the EOF and returning null, instead of pausing for
    > the user input. I want it to stop trying to get input from the file,
    > and get input from the user on the command line. Any help on how to fix
    > this? Thanks in advance.
    >

    > My program: (in pseudocode)
    >
    > int main ()
    > {
    > //getting text from file
    > while ( cin.getline ( text [], size, '\n' ) )
    > {
    > //processing text from file
    >
    > }
    >
    > //getting input from user
    > bool b = false; //if 1 is entered by user, b is set to true and
    > program ends
    >
    > while ( !b )
    > {
    > cin.getline ( userinput [], usize, '\n' );
    > //check to see if user entered 1
    > if (user didnt enter 1)
    > {
    > process user input
    > }
    >
    > else
    > b = true;
    >
    > }
    >
    > return 0;
    > }//end main

    Try posting the real code instead of pseudocode.

    Daniel T., Mar 23, 2006

    I already figured it out. I will just use ifstreams to get the file
    input and regular cin to get the input from the command line. I found
    out there is no way to redirect a stream from a file back to the
    command line in C++. Thanks everyone though.

    , Mar 23, 2006