Global function access in ASPX, not aspx.VB

ss

i read a few posts about global function access. well i am not
interested in global functions. rather, i am seeking for a way to may
my call in ASPX pages but not the code behind.

for example: in a datagrid bind() in ASPX:
<%# container.dataitem("date") %>
i'd like to call
<%# specialFormat( container.dataitem("date") ) %>
I noticed that format from VB is available here.

If I wrap the function as shared in Global (or other class) and do it
as
<%# Global.specialFormat( container.dataitem("date") ) %>
I got the error message says
BC30451: Name 'Global' is not declared.

Please help. thank you,

ss