Global subroutines

tshad

fd123456 said:
I believe they're code-beside because of the MS policy to provide "a
full development solution for free", meaning that you *can* write
programs for the .net platform for free using only Notepad if you
want. So, those examples cater for both types of users.
Another good reason.
Again, my view on this is that if you own VS and are using it
properly, you can code several times faster and work on very very
complex projects (N-tier, security, auto-reconfigurable, the works),
where code is more important (in size) than design. It's not a matter
of coding practice or design, or programming quality, or even
programmer quality, it's just a matter of using a fantastic IDE that
grows on you. You can write macros and assign keystrokes to them,
which means you can type method or properties stubs in one keystroke.

I can see the benefit of VS from just the little bit I have played with it
and will probably like it more the more I use it. I hear from some that
have a problem with VS that the new version is much better, so I look
forward to seeing that.
The hassle of maintaining two different files for each page disappears
with VS, because going from one to the other is completely handled by
VS, as is the creation of all necessary bits of code, like
"codebehind=myPage.aspx.vb" or "inherits=myPage.vb". Note that I
originally started by writing Windows programs, not Internet ones.
Hence VS.

But I am fully aware, contrarily to some here, that my love is
threefold : I love .net because of the richness of the libraries, I
love c# for it's sheer beauty and I love VS as an IDE for the ease of
use.

At the very start of this thread - a month ago, can you believe it? -

My how time flies when you are having fun :)
you asked some questions about the structure of the pages for asp.net,
so I decided to share my passion for asp.net with you. In no way am I
going to force you into loving c# or the IDE, that's entirely up to
you, although at one point I had to explain what was the relation
between a page and it's codebehind because the example I had provided
was written with the IDE.

That was what I was looking for. If you don't have a passion for what you
are doing, that you are not enjoying what you do and that would be a
tragedy. Too many people hate their jobs these days.

Everyone has their preferences (which is why we don't have just MS). And
listening to people who have differing opinions is how to best form yours.
You seem to be rather intent on using DW and Textpad to code, and
there's nothing wrong with that on my end. I'll try my best to provide
you with examples you can use.
I do like DW - but am not wedded to it. It has a lot of pluses, but my
point with Textpad was that they are all tools and some are better than
others for different tasks and I like that fact that I have the option to
use different tools to accomplish the same thing. Back in the old days, you
didn't have that option. You used whatever the computer manufacture had to
offer - like it or not.

Tom

fd123456

tshad said:
I can see the benefit of VS from just the little bit I have played with it
and will probably like it more the more I use it. I hear from some that
have a problem with VS that the new version is much better, so I look
forward to seeing that.

It's still a bit away, from what I've gathered. I expect VS 2005 to be
out sometime in the fourth quarter, and as I am on a tight production
schedule, I'm not taking risks with something that's not finished just
yet. I'll wait for 2.01. The specs look nice, though (lots of fancy
code generators, but it seems partial classes will yet again
complicate the matter of code-behind files. Half code-behinds,
anyone?).
My how time flies when you are having fun :)

Lol ! BTW, aren't you supposed to be coding right now? Go and make the
best site ever, you lazy bastard! ;)
I do like DW - but am not wedded to it. It has a lot of pluses, but my
point with Textpad was that they are all tools and some are better than
others for different tasks and I like that fact that I have the option to
use different tools to accomplish the same thing. Back in the old days, you
didn't have that option. You used whatever the computer manufacture had to
offer - like it or not.

True. But I chose to wed VS, she's just sooo sexy :)

Have fun,

Michel

tshad

fd123456 said:
It's still a bit away, from what I've gathered. I expect VS 2005 to be
out sometime in the fourth quarter, and as I am on a tight production
schedule, I'm not taking risks with something that's not finished just
yet. I'll wait for 2.01. The specs look nice, though (lots of fancy
code generators, but it seems partial classes will yet again
complicate the matter of code-behind files. Half code-behinds,
anyone?).

Lol ! BTW, aren't you supposed to be coding right now? Go and make the
best site ever, you lazy bastard! ;)

I am trying, but had a little problem getting it to work. I am trying to
get our site up an running at the moment and have to split time between the
two. I can't spend a lot of time playing and learning when I have a
deadline to meet. But will keep on trucking.

I mentioned in the other thread that VS2005 looks much better to me and
don't want to spend a lot of time dealing with learning the 2003 way of
doing thing when in a short time (as the MS flies) I will have to learn
2005. If I were just starting that wouldn't be as much of a problem. But I
have enough problems dealing with the way asp.net does things (and doesn't
do things). I don't want to spend a lot of time getting VS to work with the
solutions I already have figured out.
True. But I chose to wed VS, she's just sooo sexy :)

But all that glitters is not gold :)

And there is that honeymoon period that ends.

Tom

fd123456

Your arguments make sense. I hope the one half where you have a
deadline is coming well.
But I have enough problems dealing with the way asp.net does things
(and doesn't do things).

lol !!
And there is that honeymoon period that ends.

Well, as long as I've still got a hard-on... (ok, stop this thread
right now, it's going in directions we don't want to go!).

Michel