glossary wiki

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brian van den Broek, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    in a recent thread

    Bengt Richter said unto the world upon 2004-09-04 15:31:

    <SNIP>

    > This brings up the question of standard terminology (e.g. for
    > namespace). If one googles for python glossary, the top references are
    > mostly
    >
    > http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary
    >
    > which seems not to have caught on so far (mea culpa too, since it takes
    > volunteers ;-/ ).

    <SNIP>

    > Re defintions, perhaps it is time to reinvigorate Skip's wiki or
    > something like that?

    <SNIP>

    > Regards,
    > Bengt Richter

    I've been reading this newsgroup and the Tutor list for a while (I'm still
    a relative novice). It seems to me that a more lively glossary wiki might
    well help reduce the repetition of some responses on both lists. (Sure,
    not everyone will search before asking, but one can hope, right?) I can
    say that as a learner, I would very much value a more vigorously
    maintained glossary wiki.

    On "the effort where my mouth is" principle I have gone and added several
    entries: duck typing, dynamically typed, statically typed, and type. But,
    as a newbie, I am not wholly confident that what I have said is entirely
    right.

    So please, if anyone has an interest in keeping a good glossary up to
    date, surf by http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary and heal my errors
    or extend the glossary yourself.

    Best to all and thanks,

    Brian vdB
    Brian van den Broek, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Nicolas Fleury, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
    Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.

    That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump mine and
    redirect to the relevant page.

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Sep 7, 2004
  4. At some point, Skip Montanaro <> wrote:

    > Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
    > Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.
    >
    > That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump mine and
    > redirect to the relevant page.
    >
    > Skip

    Done; it's the PythonGlossary page, linked off of the Documentation
    page.

    (It's very easy when both wikis use MoinMoin :)

    David M. Cooke, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Nicolas> I guess it would be nice to put this glossary on
    Nicolas> http://www.python.org/moin/.

    >> That's fine with me. If someone does it let me know and I'll dump
    >> mine and redirect to the relevant page.

    David> Done; it's the PythonGlossary page, linked off of the
    David> Documentation page.

    David> (It's very easy when both wikis use MoinMoin :)

    And the old glossary now redirects to the new one.

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Sep 9, 2004