good algorithms come with practice and reading good code/books?

Nelu

Spiros said:
Isn't elisp a different dialect of Lisp from scheme ?

Yes, it is. I believe the previous post was more about functional
programming than about a specific language. If not, then Sawfish
is the only example, from the list, that stands.

Guest

Nelu said:
Yes, it is. I believe the previous post was more about functional
programming than about a specific language. If not, then Sawfish
is the only example, from the list, that stands.

sawfish is not written in scheme. It is mostly written in a custom
dialect of lisp based on elisp.

jacob navia

Harald van Dijk a écrit :
sawfish is not written in scheme. It is mostly written in a custom
dialect of lisp based on elisp.

There are applications in lisp

Macsyma, the famous mathematical system, is written
in ANSI lisp. (Common lisp).

That is a HUGE software package.

Scheme is mostly used for education and universities.
Personally I have never seen any application in that
language. The same for Haskell and all the
functional languages.

Giorgos Keramidas

Isn't elisp a different dialect of Lisp from scheme ?

Yes. It does support writing programs using a functional style though,
which we can probably assume -- with the usual jacob-navia risk factor,
of course -- that kind of matches the original request by jacob navia.

This is already getting too OT for c.l.c though.

Nelu

Harald said:
sawfish is not written in scheme. It is mostly written in a custom
dialect of lisp based on elisp.

I saw it advertised somewhere as being written in a language like
guile-scheme. Anyway, scwm may be a better example.

Spiros Bousbouras

Giorgos said:
Yes. It does support writing programs using a functional style though,
which we can probably assume -- with the usual jacob-navia risk factor,
of course -- that kind of matches the original request by jacob navia.

This is already getting too OT for c.l.c though.

No , I think he literally wanted to know about Haskell
or Scheme. Anyway , it is out of topic. There are newsgroups
for both languages and the question is best asked there.

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
Emacs itself is written in....

YES!!!!
YOU GUESSED IT!!!

But they have a small little "extensions" language (like
MatchCad), and many others where lisp shines.

I am NOT against lisp (as I am not "against" any
computer language, but in the real world there is
very little space apparently for this languages.

<OT>
The core of GNU Emacs, including the elisp interpreter, is written in
C, but the bulk of the functionality is implemented in elisp.
</OT>