    Many thanks and apologies for my abysmal ignorance of html :)
    --
    I.N. Galidakis

    I.N. Galidakis, Jan 12, 2008

  2. I.N. Galidakis wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me why Google is caching my main page in Russian instead of
    > Greek?
    >
    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/
    >
    > (To see the cached version please click here first:
    > http://tinyurl.com/26kap4 and then click on cached version, etc)
    >
    > Is it because my page does not include:
    > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">?

    No.

    It *is* strange. The source code for the cached page shows that your
    meta tag for windows-1253 is there, but Google inserts its own tag

    at the top of the page.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "I.N. Galidakis"
    <> writing in news:1200159647.789287@athprx04:

    > Can anyone tell me why Google is caching my main page in Russian
    > instead of Greek?
    >
    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/
    >
    > (To see the cached version please click here first:
    > http://tinyurl.com/26kap4 and then click on cached version, etc)
    >
    > Is it because my page does not include:
    ><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">?
    >
    > Only a couple of pages include Greek, so if this can do the trick, I'd
    > be more than satisfied to include it.
    >
    > Many thanks and apologies for my abysmal ignorance of html :)

    They're caching it in English for me, but I have my preferences set to
    English. Change your language preference and see if it makes a
    difference.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Scripsit I.N. Galidakis:

    > Can anyone tell me why Google is caching my main page in Russian
    > instead of Greek?

    It isn't.

    > http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/

    OK. The HTTP headers don't specify the character encoding, and some
    people don't like that, but by the specs and by browser practice, the
    meta tag information will then be used. It's windows-1253 encoded, which
    is OK for almost all practical purposes

    > (To see the cached version please click here first:
    > http://tinyurl.com/26kap4 and then click on cached version, etc)

    It's all Greek to us, and most people here don't grok Greek. However,
    with some obvious guesswork, the link can be identified. The cached
    version is definitely not Russian. It's mumbo-jumbo. The _encoding_ is
    KOI8-R, and this is specified both in HTTP headers and in a meta tag.
    This does not make it Russian any more than you can turn some
    barbarians' nonsense into Greek by declaring it windows-1253 encoded.

    I think you have spotted a bug in Google. There's knowledgeable people
    at Google, including people very fluent in encoding issues, and you
    should send a bug report to Google. But don't hold your breathe; it'll
    probably take months before the bug will be fixed. Google seems to have
    all the usual problems of a _big_ organization.

    > Is it because my page does not include:
    > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">?

    Hardly. And I wouldn't even try with a bogus doctype. Adding a doctype
    declaration that conforms to HTML specifications would be a good idea,
    though it probably wouldn't affect this problem. Hint: a conforming
    doctype declaration has two quoted strings, and the text inside quotes
    is case-sensitive.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 12, 2008
  5. I.N. Galidakis wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me why Google is caching my main page in Russian
    > instead of Greek?

    Many thanks to all who responded. It is indeed not Russian as Jukka states,
    rather, Greek with Russian characters, hence nonsense.

    I may very well file a google bug report and see what happens.

    Thanks again,
    --
    I.N. Galidakis

    I.N. Galidakis, Jan 13, 2008