graceful degradation : is it degrading?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Aaron Watters, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. Graceful degradation is what I hope to display
    as I continue to age...

    But in the context of web programming it also
    refers to the supposedly desirable behaviour
    of web sites to "do something reasonable"
    as resources are denied them by
    client browsers such as cookies, applets,
    javascript, etcetera.

    So for example if the browser has javascript
    turned off pages should somehow "still work".

    These days javascript is so
    pervasive that graceful degradation is becoming
    increasingly difficult and absolutely no fun for
    web designers and programmers.

    Question: is graceful degradation for no-javascript
    feasible and desirable these days?

    For example after I announced my WHIFF treeview
    widgets

    http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1100_2200.TreeView

    people noted that they sometimes didn't work properly with
    javascript off. I could fix this in some cases, but
    the fix would involve changing a "POST" to a "GET"
    and that would cause MSIE to suddenly fail when the
    GET parameters get too big (and probably other
    browsers too). So it really would only fix part of the
    problem. Consequently I'm tempted to say: "sorry,
    please enable javascript if you want to use this page..."

    What is the state of best-practices and such?
    -- Aaron Watters

    ===
    she was dirty, flirty / musta been about thirty...
    Stones '60s
    she was shifty, nifty / musta been about fifty...
    Stones '90s
    (what rhymes with 80?)

    Aaron Watters, Nov 2, 2009

  2. Aaron Watters wrote:
    > These days javascript is so
    > pervasive that graceful degradation is becoming
    > increasingly difficult and absolutely no fun for
    > web designers and programmers.

    This sounds like something I'd ask about on #web on irc.freenode.net...

    Those guys are pretty knowledgeable, would be interesting to know what
    they have to say on all this...

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Chris Withers, Nov 2, 2009

  3. Aaron Watters

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Aaron Watters wrote:

    > people noted that they sometimes didn't work properly with
    > javascript off. I could fix this in some cases, but
    > the fix would involve changing a "POST" to a "GET"
    > and that would cause MSIE to suddenly fail when the
    > GET parameters get too big (and probably other
    > browsers too). So it really would only fix part of the
    > problem. Consequently I'm tempted to say: "sorry,
    > please enable javascript if you want to use this page..."

    If a page is sufficiently dynamic on the client side, that seems
    reasonable enough to me.

    Terry Reedy, Nov 2, 2009