Gradient color

jaydev

Hi,
I want to create Gradient color in my header (just like in microsoft
site) but we don;t want use the image for that and also it should work
in all browsers (If i use
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient, it works only in
IE). Please help me to solve this isse.

Thanks,
Jay

Leif K-Brooks

jaydev said:
I want to create Gradient color in my header (just like in microsoft
site) but we don;t want use the image for that and also it should
work in all browsers (If i use
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient, it works only in
IE). Please help me to solve this isse.

Not possible. Use an image.

mbstevens

Not possible. Use an image.

Correct.
Luckily, you can often use one hell of a small image, however. 1px high
and the gradient wide, or the other way around. The download time can be
quite small. Just set it to repeat horizontally or vertically. So there
is no real reason for the OP to avoid an image.

Toby Inkster

jaydev said:
I want to create Gradient color in my header but we don;t want use the
image for that

Then you must use IE-specific code instead.
and also it should work in all browsers

Then you must use an image.

Take your pick.

dorayme

"jaydev said:
Hi,
I want to create Gradient color in my header (just like in microsoft
site) but we don;t want use the image for that and also it should work
in all browsers (If i use
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient, it works only in
IE). Please help me to solve this isse.

If you want it to work in a lot of browsers, stop not wanting to
use an image.

mbstevens

Scalability.

I suppose that is right, if the gradient container was wide enough to run
into problems with different sized windows. Still, I don't see a _lot_ of
problem with cropping the full dark-to-light scale of the gradient if the
div cuts it off. At least not in most cases.

cwdjrxyz

jaydev said:
Hi,
I want to create Gradient color in my header (just like in microsoft
site) but we don;t want use the image for that and also it should work
in all browsers (If i use
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient, it works only in
IE). Please help me to solve this isse.

Although your best bet likely is using an image as suggested by others,
it is quite possible to produce a color gradient that works in most
current browsers. See http://www.cwdjr.net/geometric/curve_write2.html
.. This works on the most recent(and many older versions)of IE6,
Firefox, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, and even the very old WebTV 2.8 set
top box viewer program. It uses Javascript to produce the grad color
effect, and I have done this for several years. I have always used it
on pages that required script for something else anyway. However if you
wanted it to work alone on a page that did not otherwise require
script, you might be able to do this on the server using php script in
case you worry that someone might have javascript turned off on their
browser