GRAPHIC SHIFT TEXT

mg

Hello all. Simple, stupid question. When I place a graphic in a <td>
that has text in it also, the graphic makes the text shift around. No
matter which alignment I choose, it still screws up my text. Check out
this link to see what I mean.... the red button. Thanks.

http://seasideonline.org/2/

Els

Hello all. Simple, stupid question. When I place a graphic in a <td>
that has text in it also, the graphic makes the text shift around. No
matter which alignment I choose, it still screws up my text. Check out
this link to see what I mean.... the red button. Thanks.

http://seasideonline.org/2/

I see only one red button, but I see no text next to it...

Jonathan N. Little

Hello all. Simple, stupid question. When I place a graphic in a <td>
that has text in it also, the graphic makes the text shift around. No
matter which alignment I choose, it still screws up my text. Check out
this link to see what I mean.... the red button. Thanks.

Shift around with respect to what?

Oh my! Where to start!

1) You should not use a TABLE to layout your page.
2) You should not place block elements (TABLE) with a SPAN, SPANs should
contain inline elements
3) SUBMIT buttons are not links and require a FORM as a parent.
4) Shall I go on? You need to study some basic tutorials, view the spec
(www.w3.org/TR/html4/cover.html#minitoc), get a book, or better yet all
three!

mg

Hi there, this is just a mock up for someone to look at and not a
finished page. The form buttons are non-functional, they were just for
a visual aid. The text is all the way to the left of the red "button."
The text is not in the "middle" of the <td> because of the "button." If
i take the "button" out, the text shifts back to its proper place in
the "middle." - MG

Jonathan N. Little

Please do not top post.

Hi there, this is just a mock up for someone to look at and not a
finished page. The form buttons are non-functional, they were just for
a visual aid.

Okay, okay let me get this straight your are saying "My markup is
totally invalid, but that is okay because it is *just* a mock up, so why
doesn't it display properly?"!!!! Good one!

> The text is all the way to the left of the red "button."
The text is not in the "middle" of the <td> because of the "button." If
i take the "button" out, the text shifts back to its proper place in
the "middle." - MG

Do you mean vertically? Well it does not matter because of my first
point, your markup is rife with errors. It displays, consider yourself
lucky.

If you wish to control the presentation of your webpage your must first
correct your markup, then correct your CSS. My initial advice still
stands, please review and linger a bit on #4
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

WindowFrog

Are you serious? No, I'm not the most proficient programmer in the
world. But instead of being helpful, or just saying nothing at all, you
feel the need to get arrogant in a Google Group and belittle me when
I'm trying to learn? That's cool. I hope you feel better Jon Little.

Els

WindowFrog said:
Are you serious? No, I'm not the most proficient programmer in the
world. But instead of being helpful, or just saying nothing at all, you
feel the need to get arrogant in a Google Group

This is *not* a "Google Group". This is a newsgroup on Usenet.
Google only provides an interface.
and belittle me when
I'm trying to learn? That's cool. I hope you feel better Jon Little.

He has a point though, hasn't he?

[snipped rest of helpful reply by Mr. Little]

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

WindowFrog said:
Are you serious?

I for one am sure he is.
No, I'm not the most proficient programmer in the world. But instead
of being helpful,

He gave you a number of valid points for you to work on. Then, you say
"it's just a mockup" so the errors don't matter? Of *course* they
matter, and could very well be the reason your page doesn't display
correctly.
or just saying nothing at all, you feel the need to get arrogant in a
Google Group

This is *not* a Google Group. This is a USENET newsgroup, resident on
thousands of NNTP news servers around the planet. You are just looking
at the Google archive of it. (Get a real newsreader and join us in the
proper fashion.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
and belittle me when I'm trying to learn? That's cool. I hope you feel
better Jon Little.

I'm sure he feels quite well. <lol>

Jonathan N. Little

WindowFrog said:
Are you serious? No, I'm not the most proficient programmer in the
world. But instead of being helpful, or just saying nothing at all, you
feel the need to get arrogant in a Google Group and belittle me when
I'm trying to learn? That's cool. I hope you feel better Jon Little.

First this in not Google Groups, it is Usenet, you are just accessing it
via Google Groups. In Usenet folks do not like top posting, it gets very
difficult to follow the conversation. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

Actually my advice was very useful, Diagnosing presentational problems
can be futile with documents full of markup errors. I gave you
references on how to start. You are obviously doing this
"professionally" so if you expect clients to pay you don't you think you
should at least take the effort to learn the basics first? When I take
my car to the garage I expect the mechanic has has some training!

Here is the validation, get to work...

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://seasideonline.org/2/
Result for http://seasideonline.org/2/ - W3C Markup Validator

After your markup is valid, isolating your presentational problem can be
more manageable.

With your original question

Do you mean vertical alignment or horizontal? If so the deprecated HTML
attributes is not that way to control but via CSS.

WindowFrog

Thank you all for your interaction, but did anyone other than Jon look
at the link? The "number of valid points" had nothing to do with my
question. They were simply things HE would not have done. In any final
draft, I will still use the icon and the text inside a <td> tag
regardless of if Jon would. That would not have changed from the "mock
up." I apologize for wrongly calling this a Google Group. I was also
wrong in thinking I could converse with helpful, more skilled people
here. Thank you all for your time... I just wish someone would have
devoted any portion of it to actually looking at the problem.

Jonathan N. Little

WindowFrog said:
Thank you all for your interaction, but did anyone other than Jon look
at the link? The "number of valid points" had nothing to do with my
question. They were simply things HE would not have done. In any final
draft, I will still use the icon and the text inside a <td> tag
regardless of if Jon would. That would not have changed from the "mock
up." I apologize for wrongly calling this a Google Group. I was also
wrong in thinking I could converse with helpful, more skilled people
here. Thank you all for your time... I just wish someone would have
devoted any portion of it to actually looking at the problem.

You are doing such a good job of being offended that you do not see help
when it is offered you! And dammit stop professing ignorance and follow
my links and get a clue, one of which is how not to top post!

Chris F.A. Johnson

Thank you all for your interaction, but did anyone other than Jon look
at the link?

Yes, but since you don't want to follow advice that is given, there
was no point is posting any more.

dorayme

"WindowFrog said:
Thank you all for your interaction, but did anyone other than Jon look
at the link?

Yep.... me. The only one here that can go to the true deep heart
of things and not be side tracked by any irrelevencies at all,
focus like a laser beam, tolerant not only of top posting but
actually pleased to see other variations like side posting,
invisible posting, inside out posting, behind posting and well if
there are other types, surprise me.

And what do I see when I wake up on the sunny side of the planet?
Bugger all but a bit of text. No exciting red button, no nuthin'
really ...

Ed Seedhouse

Thank you all for your interaction, but

The fact that you continue to top post long after good valid reasons for
not doing that shows that you are not actually interested in learning
anything, so why should anyone bother with you.

I am using Agent to read this newsgroup and it contains an ignore filter
and, since I have determined that on the available evidence you are
neither interested in learning anything nor have anything of interest to
say, you belong there. So I will never read any of your posts again.

Small loss to you, indeed. But shortly, if you keep up your present
behaviour, no one will see anything you post again and you will just be
talking to yourself, which on the evidence presented so far, may be your
best audience.

Enjoy the rest of your life.

Chaddy2222

Jonathan said:
First this in not Google Groups, it is Usenet, you are just accessing it
via Google Groups. In Usenet folks do not like top posting, it gets very
difficult to follow the conversation. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

Actually my advice was very useful, Diagnosing presentational problems
can be futile with documents full of markup errors.

I agree.

I gave you
references on how to start. You are obviously doing this
"professionally" so if you expect clients to pay you don't you think you
should at least take the effort to learn the basics first? When I take
my car to the garage I expect the mechanic has has some training!

That's a fare point.
I guess it's kind of like when you build a house, you need good
foundations to build on, otherwise the entire project just falls in a
heap.
Here is the validation, get to work...

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://seasideonline.org/2/
Result for http://seasideonline.org/2/ - W3C Markup Validator

After your markup is valid, isolating your presentational problem can be
more manageable.

With your original question

Do you mean vertical alignment or horizontal? If so the deprecated HTML
attributes is not that way to control but via CSS.
I agree, though it's interesting just to look at the spec and see just
how many of those tags are deprecated, it's much easier to just use an
external stylesheet to I find, it means you only need to change one
file.