graphics with c++

I have been learning C++ on my own. For some projects, I would like
to use graphics. What is the easiest way to do this? (I am using
Visual Studio Express 2005.)

Separate from the ease of use question, what way(s) are most used? I
have heard of things like qt...

Would it be easier to just learn and use C# instead?

Alf P. Steinbach

* t:
I have been learning C++ on my own. For some projects, I would like
to use graphics. What is the easiest way to do this? (I am using
Visual Studio Express 2005.)

Your question is essentially, "which graphics library is easiest?".

That depends.

Assuming you're talking about generating graphics from scratch, not just
presenting existing pictures:

At one end of the scale you can write a C++ program that outputs pure
text that's then interpreted as static graphics, e.g. SVG. At the other
end you can do interactive photo-realistic 3D graphics. Somewhere in
the middle you can plot a graph.

The complexity is not so much in the library as in the task you want to
accomplish.

Separate from the ease of use question, what way(s) are most used? I
have heard of things like qt...

Would it be easier to just learn and use C# instead?

Yes.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

* t:

Your question is essentially, "which graphics library is easiest?".

That depends.

Assuming you're talking about generating graphics from scratch, not just
presenting existing pictures:

At one end of the scale you can write a C++ program that outputs pure
text that's then interpreted as static graphics, e.g. SVG. At the other
end you can do interactive photo-realistic 3D graphics. Somewhere in
the middle you can plot a graph.

The complexity is not so much in the library as in the task you want to
accomplish.

What if my purpose is to make little programs like Tetris or a dumb
chess program?

So a substantial graphics library is part of .NET ?

Christopher Pisz

t said:
What if my purpose is to make little programs like Tetris or a dumb
chess program?

So a substantial graphics library is part of .NET ?

I wouldn't use the word substantial.

If you are looking for advise on what language to use or to use the .NET
libraries, I think you'll have to figure out for yourself what your goals
are. Certain tasks may or may not be easier in one than the other. You also
will not gleam as much knowledge learning one over the other depending on
which knowledges you are seeking to learn.

You've got choices, all of which are off topic in this group. I'd advise you
to go research:

For typical UI graphics on Windows: The windows API or .NET, depending how
in depth you want to go, and the differences in native and managed code.
For typical UI graphics on Linux: QT, or Java Swing
for Gaming Graphics on Windows: DirectX
for Gaming Graphics on Linux: OpenGL
for non-performance newbish graphics: I think the beginners "engine" or
"framework" if it can be called that, most people use is "STL" not to be
confused with the standard template library
for top level every day game tasks: There are a multitude of engines already
out there in the language of your choice including OGRE. It can be argued
whether it is easier to roll your own than learn someone elses though.

I'd look for some newsgroups and forums using the keywords found above.
gamedev.net is also a good place to look.

Further discussion of graphics here will probably make people angry as it is
quite off topic.
Good luck!