Greeting cards application in java - what is the best approach?

Discussion in 'Java' started by tak, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. tak

    tak Guest

    Hi,

    I need to design and create a greeting cards application that allows
    the users to enter text and/or images to the front and the inside of
    the card. The image needs to be resizable just incase it is too big.
    Or the user can select from some predefined template and change the
    image or text if neccessary. Which basically is a very simple greeting
    cards appl...

    My questions are,

    1. what component will be best used for the card itself? I am thinking
    of canvas, but i dont know if there will be any limitation that i will
    face later down the road.... b/c if the user choose to create new
    cards, i need to display 2 canvas, and have a browse for pictures
    button, user will select a picture, drag and drop it on the canvas,
    and resize it if neccessary. And at the mean time, create a textbox in
    runtime - and enter freeform text to it. Is canvas the best choice?

    2. as for image resize - similar to what you do in Microsoft Word -
    when you import an image, you can drag the corner, and resize the
    picture in runtime - -how do you do that in java, what API do you use?

    3. Free form textbox - again - what API is best for this? and can you
    give me some pointers on how to start on this? i am really puzzle on
    this textbox piece.

    thanks.
    tak, Feb 27, 2007