  1. I have an interest in distributed computing and so-called grid
    computing. Has anyone here done, or know of, any grid processing with Ruby?

    Alexander.

    Alexander Staubo, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Alexander Staubo

    Dave Burt Guest

    "Alexander Staubo" <> wrote:
    >I have an interest in distributed computing and so-called grid computing.
    >Has anyone here done, or know of, any grid processing with Ruby?

    There is rq (ruby queue) by Ara. T. Howard:

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rq/

    rq is a tool used to build instant linux clusters
    ruby queue (rq) is a tool used to create instant linux clusters by managing
    sqlite databases as nfs mounted priority work queues. multiple instances of
    rq running from multiples hosts can work from these queues to distribute
    processing load to n nodes - bringing many dozens of otherwise powerful cpus
    to their knees with a single blow. clearly this software should be kept out
    of the hands of free radicals, seti enthusiasts, and j. safran.

    the central concept of rq is that n nodes work in isolation to pull jobs
    from an central nfs mounted priority work queue in a synchronized fashion.
    the nodes have absolutely no knowledge of each other and all communication
    if done via the queue meaning that, so long as the queue is available via
    nfs and a single node is running jobs from it, the system will continue to
    process jobs. there is no centralized process whatsoever - all nodes work to
    take jobs from the queue and run them as fast as possible. this creates a
    system which load balances automatically and is robust in face of node
    failures.

    Dave Burt, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Interesting. Unfortunately, the dependency on a central NFS mount rules
    out rq for my purposes.

    Alexander.

    Alexander Staubo, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Alexander Staubo

    Ralf Müller Guest

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:18:55 +0900
    Alexander Staubo <> wrote:

    > I have an interest in distributed computing and so-called grid
    > computing. Has anyone here done, or know of, any grid processing with Ruby?
    >
    > Alexander.

    Maybe it's not what you meant, but there is a MPI-API in Ruby.
    You can find it under http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby/.

    regards
    ralf

    Ralf Müller, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Alexander Staubo

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Alexander Staubo <> wrote:
    >Interesting. Unfortunately, the dependency on a central NFS mount rules
    >out rq for my purposes.

    There's also TaskMaster (I think it's still on the RAA), but I haven't
    updated it in ages. I was going to try to take it in a more P2P
    direction.

    TaskMaster distributes task objects via drb. As long as you define a
    'run' method on your class it can be distributed.

    I would tend to think that TaskMaster doesn't work with 1.8.x, but you
    could probably get it running without too many changes... Also, there was
    a Dr. Dobb's article on it 2 or 3 years ago. If you're interested I can
    try to dig up the links.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Alexander Staubo

    Guest

    , Feb 8, 2005
  7. Alexander Staubo

    Ralf Müller Guest

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:26:41 +0900
    wrote:

    > * Ralf Müller <> [2005-02-08 17:08:56 +0900]:
    >
    > > Maybe it's not what you meant, but there is a MPI-API in Ruby.
    > > You can find it under http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby/.

    > Hmm, there is MPIRuby that was presented at the very first
    > Ruby conference by Emil Ong.
    > I found it in the RAA:
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=mpiruby
    >
    > Is this what you are looking for?
    > --
    > Jim Freeze
    > Code Red. Code Ruby

    I read about Emil's mpiruby in a book from 2002, found the given url still active and nothing under rubyforge. i posted the url for Alex.
    Didn't search raa ;)

    but the homepage (http://mpiruby.sourceforge.net) of the raa-project seems to be almost a copy of http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby.

    Ralf Müller, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Cameron McBride, Feb 8, 2005
  9. Ralf Müller wrote:
    > Maybe it's not what you meant, but there is a MPI-API in Ruby.
    > You can find it under http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby/.

    I'm not familiar enough with MPI to say whether it suits my purpose;
    however, I do know it's only useful insofar as there are free
    P2P/socket-based implementations available. I'll take a look.

    Alexander.

    Alexander Staubo, Feb 8, 2005

    Booker C. Bense, Feb 8, 2005
  11. Alexander Staubo

    Ralf Müller Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:06:39 +0900
    Alexander Staubo <> wrote:

    > Ralf Müller wrote:
    > > Maybe it's not what you meant, but there is a MPI-API in Ruby.
    > > You can find it under http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby/.

    > I'm not familiar enough with MPI to say whether it suits my purpose;
    > however, I do know it's only useful insofar as there are free
    > P2P/socket-based implementations available. I'll take a look.
    >
    > Alexander.

    Take a look at LAM = Local Area Multicomputer, its a full implementation of MPI (http://www.lam-mpi.org). I used it to test geophysical simulation (in C ,about 5 years ago) and was very satisfied.
    But i did not test the mpiruby package.

    regards