Grid computing with Ruby?

Alexander Staubo

I have an interest in distributed computing and so-called grid
computing. Has anyone here done, or know of, any grid processing with Ruby?

Alexander.

Dave Burt

Alexander Staubo said:
I have an interest in distributed computing and so-called grid computing.
Has anyone here done, or know of, any grid processing with Ruby?

There is rq (ruby queue) by Ara. T. Howard:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rq/

rq is a tool used to build instant linux clusters
ruby queue (rq) is a tool used to create instant linux clusters by managing
sqlite databases as nfs mounted priority work queues. multiple instances of
rq running from multiples hosts can work from these queues to distribute
processing load to n nodes - bringing many dozens of otherwise powerful cpus
to their knees with a single blow. clearly this software should be kept out
of the hands of free radicals, seti enthusiasts, and j. safran.

the central concept of rq is that n nodes work in isolation to pull jobs
from an central nfs mounted priority work queue in a synchronized fashion.
the nodes have absolutely no knowledge of each other and all communication
if done via the queue meaning that, so long as the queue is available via
nfs and a single node is running jobs from it, the system will continue to
process jobs. there is no centralized process whatsoever - all nodes work to
take jobs from the queue and run them as fast as possible. this creates a
system which load balances automatically and is robust in face of node
failures.

Alexander Staubo

Interesting. Unfortunately, the dependency on a central NFS mount rules
out rq for my purposes.

Alexander.

Phil Tomson

Interesting. Unfortunately, the dependency on a central NFS mount rules
out rq for my purposes.

There's also TaskMaster (I think it's still on the RAA), but I haven't
updated it in ages. I was going to try to take it in a more P2P
direction.

TaskMaster distributes task objects via drb. As long as you define a
'run' method on your class it can be distributed.

I would tend to think that TaskMaster doesn't work with 1.8.x, but you
could probably get it running without too many changes... Also, there was
a Dr. Dobb's article on it 2 or 3 years ago. If you're interested I can
try to dig up the links.

Phil

Ralf Müller

Maybe it's not what you meant, but there is a MPI-API in Ruby.
You can find it under http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby/.

Hmm, there is MPIRuby that was presented at the very first
Ruby conference by Emil Ong.
I found it in the RAA:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=mpiruby

Is this what you are looking for?[/QUOTE]
I read about Emil's mpiruby in a book from 2002, found the given url still active and nothing under rubyforge. i posted the url for Alex.
Didn't search raa ;)

but the homepage (http://mpiruby.sourceforge.net) of the raa-project seems to be almost a copy of http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpi_ruby.

Booker C. Bense

Ralf Müller

I'm not familiar enough with MPI to say whether it suits my purpose;
however, I do know it's only useful insofar as there are free
P2P/socket-based implementations available. I'll take a look.

Alexander.
Take a look at LAM = Local Area Multicomputer, its a full implementation of MPI (http://www.lam-mpi.org). I used it to test geophysical simulation (in C ,about 5 years ago) and was very satisfied.
But i did not test the mpiruby package.

regards