grid updating and stored procedure

Antonio Policelli

I have this issue. I need to create a web page where the user can run
some searches. They will get retruned to the web site 0, 1 or many
records which I will put in a data grid. The user will then be able
to update a single field in any of the rows. If they get 10 rows
returned in their search i will let them update as many as they want.
It will be a simple field of 10 characters no more than that. but I
wonder how does this get done? since a dataset doesn't exist after
the web page is loaded. after the user clicks a submit button how do
i get the updates they have done, how do i know which ones they
updated, and how do I get the change back to sql server? i am told I
have to use a stored procedure. does the stored procedure get exec'ed
for each row that was changed or do I send all the changes back
together at once to the stored procedure? thahnk you this is new for
me. it will be in c# but if you type VB i can read that too.

Joyjit Mukherjee

The dataset is there during server side processing residing on the server.
Now, if you let the dataset take care of pulling your data and save the
changes back to the db, read this for more
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ughUsingDataGridWebControlToReadWriteData.asp

Else, if you want to update changes in your grid yourself using your own
logic, see more in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...on/html/vbconintroductiontodatasetupdates.asp

let me know if you need more explanation.

regards
Joyjit