GridView Advice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Jeremy Martin, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I am designing a ASP.NET 2.0 front end for a Excel like DataEntry Sheet
    and am interested in getting some guidance on what design route to
    take. I can handle the details but need to know how to decompose this
    problem into a workable soln. Generally though I believe the GridView
    might be the component im after.

    Basic View

    ENGLISH ^ | READING | WRITING ......etc ->
    Joe Bloggs VG ^ OT AT
    Fred Flinstone E ^ AT BT
    James Bane VG ^ AT OT

    Ok may not look like much but basically what happens is the marker
    chooses a subject via a DDL ie (ENGLISH) and then the rest of the
    columns are made up of all the aspects of ENGLISH ie (Reading, Writing)

    Master-Detail

    The Marker chooses an effort for English via DDL ie (VG= Very Good)
    The Marker then puts in results for each aspect ie OT = On Target.

    This is repeated for all students.

    The twist in this situation is sometimes READING could have Aspects
    that make up READING so then on the fly READING needs to turn into a
    DDL and show all the Aspects that make up READING to the Columns on the
    right.

    Master-Detail-Detail

    I have bound datagrids to custom classes but the data has always been
    close to the end grid and I could use the templates and OnItemDataBound
    events to massage.

    However with this screen being so left of field I dont know where to
    begin.

    Many Thanks
    Jeremy

    Jeremy Martin, Apr 12, 2007