Gridview keeps adding rows when user causes postback

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by postings@alexshirley.com, Oct 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have a gridview that has footer with text fields and an "add"
    linkbutton. This footer allows the user to add new rows to the
    gridview.

    When the user clicks the "add" linkbutton everything works as you
    would expect, a record it added to the gridview. The problem is that if
    the user causes a post back after doing this (hitting refresh or F5 on
    the browser) it will add the same record again and again. e.g. If the
    user causes 5 postbacks then 5 duplicate records will be entered.

    I can stop this behaviour by disabling viewstate on the gridview, but
    then the edit functionality of the gridview stops working properly.

    Does anybody have any ideas how I can stop this behaviour?
    Here's the code:

    Protected Sub lnkAdd_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs)
    Page.Validate()

    If Page.IsValid Then
    'Add record in the database