GridView & ObjectDataSource (functionality is client side or serverside?)

Angel Of Death

When you use the ObjectDataSource with the GridView ASP.NET control is
it the client (browser) that makes the SOAP request required for
interaction with the WebService or is it the server?

I'm just trying to work out how the GridView control works (i.e. what it
does for me behind the scenes).

i.e. When I retrieve data to display in my GridView is a reload of the
page from the server required?

Chris Fulstow

The ObjectDataSource doesn't use SOAP (unless it's specifically used by
your data object), the page is reloaded from the server. You can,
however, use ASP.NET AJAX (Atlas) to do a partial page refresh without
reloading the whole page.

Angel Of Death

* Chris Fulstow said:
The ObjectDataSource doesn't use SOAP (unless it's specifically used by
your data object), the page is reloaded from the server.

But the ObjectDataSource binds to a WebService that returns a DataSet,
so what is going on here then?