GridView sorting

Guest

I have a GridView with one sort column. When I click the sort column the
first time nothing happens. After that when I click the sort column the sort
order changes and my grid is updated as expected. I am only having an issue
the first time I click on the sort column. I have read about manually
handling the sorting behavior but it seems to work just fine after the first
attempt without any manual code added. I was hoping that there is a way to
get the sorting to work all the time including the first time I click it.

Thank You.

Guest

I ended up deciding that the sorting I was after was overkill for my app. Now
my question is this:

What might be a good routine for preventing empty or null data columns from
displaying in a DetailsView? Right now if I have an empty column for say
"Middle Name" my detailsView would display:

First Name - Nate
Middle Name -
Last Name - Heaton

What I would like is: