    are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".

    Thanks,
    Henrique Dante de Almeida

    hdante, Mar 22, 2006

  2. hdante wrote:
    > Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because people
    > are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Henrique Dante de Almeida

    comp.lang.c doesn't have an official charter but the comp.lang.c
    welcome message contains the generally accepted description of the
    group and what is topical here. You can read the welcome message at
    http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt.

    You might also find the detailed description of comp.lang.c on the
    clc-wiki site useful. It can be found at
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Reading_And_Posting_To_comp.lang.c

    Robert Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Mar 22, 2006

  3. "hdante" <> writes:
    > Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because people
    > are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".

    The phrase "not standard" usually refers to the C language standard.
    Google n1124.pdf for the latest draft. System-specific extensions and
    libraries not covered by the language standard are considered
    off-topic.

    There's a good introduction at
    <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c>.

    Keith Thompson, Mar 22, 2006
  4. hdante opined:

    > Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because
    > people are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not
    > standard".

    Apart from other good advice and pointers given elsethread, it's
    generally a good idea to lurk for at least a couple of months to get a
    "feel" for the group (any, not just c.l.c). One thing Google Groups is
    good for is compressing said couple of months by browsing through past
    posts.

    --
    BR, Vladimir

    Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.
    -- Friedrich von Schiller, "The Maid of Orleans", III, 6

    Vladimir S. Oka, Mar 22, 2006
  5. "hdante" <> wrote in message
    > Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because people
    > are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".

    It's an unmoderated newsgroup. Despite what the others said, there aren't
    any official rules. Official rules only exist for moderated newsgroups.
    What you have here is a small group of long time participants agressively
    insulting and dismissing non-long time participants.

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Mar 22, 2006
  6. hdante

    Michael Mair Guest

    Rod Pemberton schrieb:
    > "hdante" <> wrote
    >
    >>Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because people
    >>are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".

    > It's an unmoderated newsgroup. Despite what the others said, there aren't
    > any official rules. Official rules only exist for moderated newsgroups.

    This much is correct; there usually is a charter or similar for
    a newsgroup nowadays but comp.lang.c and before that net.lang.c
    does not have an official charter due to its effective age. Even
    though a charter does not make an unmoderated group's rules more
    official, it usually leads to better acceptance of the non-official
    official rules.
    However, even groups without charter can have topicality restrictions
    which should be respected.

    As C is used in many areas and on many platforms, it would be hard
    to collect "all things C" in one newsgroup and still have a working,
    helpful newsgroup. This led to a restriction on the essential thing:
    C itself, i.e. the portable part of the language all good
    implementations (should) have in common. This part is determined by
    the language standard.
    Even with this strong restriction on what is topical, there is much
    traffic around here. If there is a question which really has no
    other home, then you still can ask around here -- either you get
    redirected to a place where you can receive more help or people
    discuss it here. My own questions around here mostly are semi-topical
    but there was no better place -- so there is a good amount of
    sensible leeway.

    > What you have here is a small group of long time participants agressively
    > insulting and dismissing non-long time participants.

    I see. Is this you having a bad day and taking it out on the others
    using someone else's request?

    Cheers
    Michael

    Michael Mair, Mar 22, 2006
  7. "Rod Pemberton" <> writes:
    > "hdante" <> wrote in message
    >> Out of curiosity, where are the group rules ? I ask so, because people
    >> are usually dismissed, by saying that something "is not standard".
    >>

    > It's an unmoderated newsgroup. Despite what the others said, there aren't
    > any official rules. Official rules only exist for moderated newsgroups.

    Mr. Pemberton is correct, this is an unmoderated group. It doesn't have
    official rules, but it does have some general guidelines.

    > What you have here is a small group of long time participants agressively
    > insulting and dismissing non-long time participants.

    No, what you have here is a small group of regulars (some of us long
    time participants, some relatively new) who try to encourage some
    semblance of order, with the goal of being as helpful as possible to
    as many people as possible. Often the best help we can offer is to
    redirect a questioner to another newsgroup, one full of experts on
    whatever the topic is. This task is made more difficult by a few
    trolls who are more interested in whining and insulting others than in
    participating in the newsgroup in any meaningful way.

    The length of participation is irrelevant. Newcomers who add
    something to the newsgroup are welcomed. Long-time trolls are treated
    as trolls. Newcomers who make mistakes are usually given second and
    third chances.

    Don't take my word for this. Everyone's posting history is available;
    judge for yourself.

    <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c> is a good
    introduction to the newsgroup.

    Keith Thompson, Mar 22, 2006