GTK import doesn't import first time

Dennis

The setup:

Windows XP Pro
Python 2.3
GTK+ 2.2.1.2 and pyGTK 1.99.17 for Python 2.3 from
http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/

I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the pyGTK and GTK+
for win32 from the above locations. Folowing the instructions, I
import pygtk first, run pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import
gtk. I receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I don't
impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the same results. Any
ideas?

PythonWin 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 18:54:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond ([email protected])
- see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Python\Python23\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py",
line 43, in ?
from _gtk import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be
found.
Thanks,
Dennis

John Hunter

Dennis> I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the
Dennis> pyGTK and GTK+ for win32 from the above locations.
Dennis> Folowing the instructions, I import pygtk first, run
Dennis> pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import gtk. I
Dennis> receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
Dennis> immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I
Dennis> don't impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the
Dennis> same results. Any ideas?

The reason it "works" the second time is that it doesn't try and
import it again after the first. So it did not really work.

Did you download and install the GTK runtime from
http://www.dropline.net/gtk? If you installed it to to C:\GTK, you'll
need C:\GTK\bin and C:\GTK\lib in your path.

John Hunter

Dennis

John Hunter said:
Dennis> I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the
Dennis> pyGTK and GTK+ for win32 from the above locations.
Dennis> Folowing the instructions, I import pygtk first, run
Dennis> pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import gtk. I
Dennis> receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
Dennis> immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I
Dennis> don't impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the
Dennis> same results. Any ideas?

The reason it "works" the second time is that it doesn't try and
import it again after the first. So it did not really work.

Did you download and install the GTK runtime from
http://www.dropline.net/gtk? If you installed it to to C:\GTK, you'll
need C:\GTK\bin and C:\GTK\lib in your path.

Yes, as stated in the post I installed GTK runtime. Also, GTK\2.0 is
in my path and verified with:
import os
print '\n'.join(os.environ['PATH'].split(';'))

which provided (amongst other entiries)
D:\GTK\2.0\lib
D:\GTK\2.0\bin

BUT, searching around google a little more I notice that a LOT of
people have had this problem and the response you've provided is
pretty much the same. Then I found an answer that worked here:

http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2003-January/004329.html
(THANKS Jamey!)

Seems that previous versions installed the dll in C:\windows\system32
and python was finding the old dll since the windows directory is
earlier in the path. Had I remembered (or known - don't know which)
that the directory GTK installs dll's in is now different, I would
have caught this. D'oh! Removed the old dll and all is well.

Dennis S.