GTK import doesn't import first time

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    The setup:

    Windows XP Pro
    Python 2.3
    GTK+ 2.2.1.2 and pyGTK 1.99.17 for Python 2.3 from
    http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/

    I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the pyGTK and GTK+
    for win32 from the above locations. Folowing the instructions, I
    import pygtk first, run pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import
    gtk. I receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
    immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I don't
    impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the same results. Any
    ideas?

    PythonWin 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 18:54:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
    on win32.
    Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond ()
    - see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
    >>> import pygtk
    >>> pygtk.require('2.0')
    >>> import gtk

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Python\Python23\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py",
    line 43, in ?
    from _gtk import *
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be
    found.
    >>> import gtk

    Thanks,
    Dennis
    Dennis, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Dennis

    John Hunter Guest

    Dennis> I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the
    Dennis> pyGTK and GTK+ for win32 from the above locations.
    Dennis> Folowing the instructions, I import pygtk first, run
    Dennis> pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import gtk. I
    Dennis> receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
    Dennis> immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I
    Dennis> don't impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the
    Dennis> same results. Any ideas?

    The reason it "works" the second time is that it doesn't try and
    import it again after the first. So it did not really work.

    Did you download and install the GTK runtime from
    http://www.dropline.net/gtk? If you installed it to to C:\GTK, you'll
    need C:\GTK\bin and C:\GTK\lib in your path.

    John Hunter
    John Hunter, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    John Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Dennis> I've downloaded and installed per the instructions the
    > Dennis> pyGTK and GTK+ for win32 from the above locations.
    > Dennis> Folowing the instructions, I import pygtk first, run
    > Dennis> pygtk.require('2.0') second and then import gtk. I
    > Dennis> receive an error on the import gtk the first time, but
    > Dennis> immediately after, if I import again it works. Even if I
    > Dennis> don't impo0rt pyGTK at all and only import gtk, I get the
    > Dennis> same results. Any ideas?
    >
    > The reason it "works" the second time is that it doesn't try and
    > import it again after the first. So it did not really work.
    >
    > Did you download and install the GTK runtime from
    > http://www.dropline.net/gtk? If you installed it to to C:\GTK, you'll
    > need C:\GTK\bin and C:\GTK\lib in your path.

    Yes, as stated in the post I installed GTK runtime. Also, GTK\2.0 is
    in my path and verified with:

    >>> import os
    >>> print '\n'.join(os.environ['PATH'].split(';'))

    which provided (amongst other entiries)
    D:\GTK\2.0\lib
    D:\GTK\2.0\bin

    BUT, searching around google a little more I notice that a LOT of
    people have had this problem and the response you've provided is
    pretty much the same. Then I found an answer that worked here:

    http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2003-January/004329.html
    (THANKS Jamey!)

    Seems that previous versions installed the dll in C:\windows\system32
    and python was finding the old dll since the windows directory is
    earlier in the path. Had I remembered (or known - don't know which)
    that the directory GTK installs dll's in is now different, I would
    have caught this. D'oh! Removed the old dll and all is well.

    Dennis S.

    Dennis, Aug 18, 2003