GUI

Laughlin, Joseph V

I've been tasked with creating a GUI application. I'd like to do it in
Ruby. Needs to run on *nix.

Anyone got any suggestions on frameworks, resources, etc?

Overview of the application: Needs to constantly display data that's
being grabbed (and periodically updated) from a C library. Displays the
data (with columns, tabs, etc). Also needs to display data in a "3D"
view (i.e. some data consists of a object that's moving around in 3D
space. Need to model that somehow.) User needs to be able to move the
objects around in this 3D space, give objects new attributes and
directions, stuff like that.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Joe

Anders K. Madsen

Lennon Day-Reynolds

FLTK and Fox both have good Ruby bindings and solid OpenGL
integration, which sounds important given the 3D aspects of your
project. Fox has the richer widget set; FLTK is designed for static
linking into very compact binaries.

And of course, Gtk and Qt both have Ruby bindings and OpenGL support,
though they are both more heavyweight -- really, they're application
frameworks that include a set of GUI widgets.

Lennon

Joel VanderWerf

I've been tasked with creating a GUI application. I'd like to do it in
Ruby. Needs to run on *nix.

Anyone got any suggestions on frameworks, resources, etc?

Overview of the application: Needs to constantly display data that's
being grabbed (and periodically updated) from a C library. Displays the
data (with columns, tabs, etc). Also needs to display data in a "3D"
view (i.e. some data consists of a object that's moving around in 3D
space. Need to model that somehow.) User needs to be able to move the
objects around in this 3D space, give objects new attributes and
directions, stuff like that.

Fox/FXRuby has a nice table widget, and also tabs and an OpenGL viewer
widget. The examples that come with the extension illustrate these
pretty well. The one thing I'm not sure about is user interaction with
the 3D objects. The GL viewer has its own interactions, which you would
have to override.

Joe Laughlin

I've been tasked with creating a GUI application. I'd
like to do it in Ruby. Needs to run on *nix.

Anyone got any suggestions on frameworks, resources, etc?

Overview of the application: Needs to constantly display
data that's being grabbed (and periodically updated) from
a C library. Displays the data (with columns, tabs,
etc). Also needs to display data in a "3D" view (i.e.
some data consists of a object that's moving around in 3D
space. Need to model that somehow.) User needs to be
able to move the objects around in this 3D space, give
objects new attributes and directions, stuff like that.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Joe

If anyone else is interested,