    Any ideas on where to start?

    Thanks,
    Joe
    Laughlin, Joseph V, Jul 28, 2004

    Anders K. Madsen, Jul 28, 2004

  3. FLTK and Fox both have good Ruby bindings and solid OpenGL
    integration, which sounds important given the 3D aspects of your
    project. Fox has the richer widget set; FLTK is designed for static
    linking into very compact binaries.

    And of course, Gtk and Qt both have Ruby bindings and OpenGL support,
    though they are both more heavyweight -- really, they're application
    frameworks that include a set of GUI widgets.

    Lennon

    Lennon Day-Reynolds, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Laughlin, Joseph V wrote:
    > I've been tasked with creating a GUI application. I'd like to do it in
    > Ruby. Needs to run on *nix.
    >
    > Anyone got any suggestions on frameworks, resources, etc?
    >
    > Overview of the application: Needs to constantly display data that's
    > being grabbed (and periodically updated) from a C library. Displays the
    > data (with columns, tabs, etc). Also needs to display data in a "3D"
    > view (i.e. some data consists of a object that's moving around in 3D
    > space. Need to model that somehow.) User needs to be able to move the
    > objects around in this 3D space, give objects new attributes and
    > directions, stuff like that.

    Fox/FXRuby has a nice table widget, and also tabs and an OpenGL viewer
    widget. The examples that come with the extension illustrate these
    pretty well. The one thing I'm not sure about is user interaction with
    the 3D objects. The GL viewer has its own interactions, which you would
    have to override.
    Joel VanderWerf, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Laughlin, Joseph V

    Joe Laughlin Guest

    Laughlin, Joseph V wrote:
    > I've been tasked with creating a GUI application. I'd
    > like to do it in Ruby. Needs to run on *nix.
    >
    > Anyone got any suggestions on frameworks, resources, etc?
    >
    > Overview of the application: Needs to constantly display
    > data that's being grabbed (and periodically updated) from
    > a C library. Displays the data (with columns, tabs,
    > etc). Also needs to display data in a "3D" view (i.e.
    > some data consists of a object that's moving around in 3D
    > space. Need to model that somehow.) User needs to be
    > able to move the objects around in this 3D space, give
    > objects new attributes and directions, stuff like that.
    >
    > Any ideas on where to start?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joe

    If anyone else is interested,