    run in DOS. What do I need to do this? Is it possible? Helpful links?
    Anyway, thanks.

    - Vexyn
    V e X y N, Aug 22, 2003

  2. V e X y N

    Greg P. Guest

    "V e X y N" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | OK, here's the deal, if anyone could help me with a link or two, I'd
    | be delighted.
    | I'm just learning C (I learned over the summer, so a few months), and
    | I was wondering what (*free*) compilers are any good. I currently use
    | a stable version of Bloodshed's Dev-C++, but I was wondering if
    | anything *free* is better? Easier to use? Just C, and not C++?

    The compiler that comes with Dev-C++ is among the best there is. It is
    MinGW(Minimalist GNU GCC for windows), it is the primary *NIX/Linux
    compiler.

    This is MinGW:
    http://www.mingw.org/

    If you don't like MinGW, there are many other options to choose. You said
    you want a free compiler, that is just C, but there are few compilers that
    do not currently support C++.

    Borland is one option:
    http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html# (click on
    Compiler under downloads on right: requires registration(free))

    My personal favorite is Digital Mars:
    www.digitalmars.com (They have their own newsgroup which I am actively
    involved in).

    | Also, I was wondering how to make a GUI for my apps? They currently
    | run in DOS. What do I need to do this? Is it possible? Helpful links?

    Making a graphical user interface is very difficult for beginning
    developers. Microsoft provides their platform sdk (which is a pain in the
    ass to code with natively):
    http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

    There is a wrapper called MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes [uses C++]) that
    eases the pain of native win32 coding.

    I would not suggest you looking GUI programming *AT ALL* until you are
    extremely comfortable with programming in C.

    There is a cross-platform GUI library (that will run on windows/Linux/etc)
    called wxWindows. Though I have not used this, I hear that it is extremely
    easy and an excellent abstraction layer to the base windowing system on the
    OS's:
    http://www.wxwindows.org/

    One that I currently use for Linux and win32 GUI's is GTK+ (GIMP Toolkit).
    It requires some runtimes files to be installed on windows to work (as it is
    not a Windows-native library):
    www.gtk.org

    If you believe that your current skills are sufficient to ignore my warning
    and start coding GUI apps then you should look to a book, no single (or
    group of) tutorial will explain it clearly enough. I assume you want to do
    Windows programming, which is way off-topic here (as this is the Standard C
    newsgroup, you may want comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32), but since you
    are new and do not know where to look, here are the "bibles" for programming
    Win32 apps:

    Programming Windows (Petzold). I know most of what is covered in this book,
    but it even throws me off sometimes due to its high prose:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1536833/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4862621-6513633

    Programming Windows with MFC (Prosise). Haven't read this as MFC is a rather
    easy-to-begin-with library. If you have some steel balls (and a self-assured
    attitude), you can just use the
    MSDN(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-4862621-6513633?v=glance&s=books

    I again strongly suggest you learn all the major functions, routines,
    syntax, tricks, logic, etc of C before trying to program non-standard
    (GUI's) code. It can be enough to drive a man mad with fury and hatred for
    programming if they are not yet fit to handle it.

    Good luck,
    Greg P.
    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003

  3. V e X y N

    Greg P. Guest

    I forgot to point you toward this newsgroup's FAQ (frequently asked
    questions). This FAQ is like a bag of gems for beginning developers. Before
    you ask any further questions here you should take a look at it.

    http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/faq.html
    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003