Handling too many requests to asp.net application... any help?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ryan, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I am hoping to get some ideas on how to handle a case when an
    application gets too many requests for an application... I would like
    to handle the case well...

    (1) is the answer in using the queue limit attributes in the config
    files and setting the too busy error page (in IIS i think) to nice
    error page?

    (2) is the answer to create a upfront request-handling application
    that doesnt hit the database that counts requests for a certain time
    period and sends the user to the application if it is under that
    request limit?

    (3) what would be nice is .. is to have the user try to hit an
    application and if the server is too busy have a nice/clean message
    saying the server is busy please wait while we try your request
    again...
    (3a) but then the question is... what happens if the user hits
    refresh over and over...
    (3b) this also doesnt but the user in a queue.. and may let another
    person jump in line ahead

    Thanks in advance...
    Ryan
    Ryan, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Ryan

    bruce barker Guest

    i run realtime statistical analysis, and report to the user if over
    thresholds. for example if the system is > 90% capacity warn the user that
    the system may be slow. if > 100%, block at the entry/home page and any
    expensive pages.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Ryan

    Frank Mamone Guest

    Hi Ryan,

    You probably already thought of this, but just in case, would it not be
    better to upgrade your server to a multiprocessor or a web farm rather than
    inconvenience the user?

    Even if you find a coding solution it would probably only be temporary as
    the site will probably get busier.

    -Frank

    Frank Mamone, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Thank you for your reply... I believe I was looking for some more
    information... and possibly a different approach... but... you might
    tell me more about it... do you have a asp.net app that reads these
    requests and gives back information to the user if over a threshold?
    I'll try to search on the name you have given me in the meantime...

    An example of what i am trying to do: I have an online sales website
    which may have a lot of users hitting it at a certain time... whats
    the best way to handle this?

    could someone reply to the points I have in 1ST message above?

    ------------
    ALSO I am sorry for the grammatical errors in the first message..
    Ryan, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    This is a rare case senerio... and should not happen but yearly.

    I am leaning toward the following approach... however I would still
    like to hear what people have to say...

    (1) i will set the queue limit attributes in the process model
    element... so dot-net redirects to a 503 error if too busy...

    (2) then I will show a custom 503 errorpage..

    .... would that not be a good approach?
    Ryan, Sep 15, 2004