Handling too many requests to asp.net application... any help?

Ryan

I am hoping to get some ideas on how to handle a case when an
application gets too many requests for an application... I would like
to handle the case well...

(1) is the answer in using the queue limit attributes in the config
files and setting the too busy error page (in IIS i think) to nice
error page?

(2) is the answer to create a upfront request-handling application
that doesnt hit the database that counts requests for a certain time
period and sends the user to the application if it is under that
request limit?

(3) what would be nice is .. is to have the user try to hit an
application and if the server is too busy have a nice/clean message
saying the server is busy please wait while we try your request
again...
(3a) but then the question is... what happens if the user hits
refresh over and over...
(3b) this also doesnt but the user in a queue.. and may let another
person jump in line ahead

Thanks in advance...
Ryan

bruce barker

i run realtime statistical analysis, and report to the user if over
thresholds. for example if the system is > 90% capacity warn the user that
the system may be slow. if > 100%, block at the entry/home page and any
expensive pages.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Frank Mamone

Hi Ryan,

You probably already thought of this, but just in case, would it not be
better to upgrade your server to a multiprocessor or a web farm rather than
inconvenience the user?

Even if you find a coding solution it would probably only be temporary as
the site will probably get busier.

-Frank

Ryan

Thank you for your reply... I believe I was looking for some more
information... and possibly a different approach... but... you might
tell me more about it... do you have a asp.net app that reads these
requests and gives back information to the user if over a threshold?
I'll try to search on the name you have given me in the meantime...

An example of what i am trying to do: I have an online sales website
which may have a lot of users hitting it at a certain time... whats
the best way to handle this?

could someone reply to the points I have in 1ST message above?

Ryan

This is a rare case senerio... and should not happen but yearly.

I am leaning toward the following approach... however I would still
like to hear what people have to say...

(1) i will set the queue limit attributes in the process model
element... so dot-net redirects to a 503 error if too busy...

(2) then I will show a custom 503 errorpage..

.... would that not be a good approach?