hang when I run perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::Perl'

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Stephane Charette, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. I'm trying to get Net::SSH::perl installed. I did install
    Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
    without problem.

    But when I run "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::perl'" the whole
    thing hangs at this point:

    -----------------
    Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Cipher::DES.3pm
    Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::packet.3pm
    Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Key::RSA.3pm
    /usr/bin/make -- OK
    Running make test
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
    t/01-
    compile.....ok
    t/02-
    buffer......ok
    t/03-packet......ok 1/10
    -----------------

    At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes. CTRL
    +C breaks out and aborts the installation. I see plenty of posts
    about this when searching with Google, but no answer. Can anyone
    help?

    I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch, perl 5.8.8 that ships with
    Ubuntu.

    Stéphane
    Stephane Charette, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Stephane Charette

    Guest

    On Aug 21, 3:59 pm, Stephane Charette <>
    wrote:
    > I'm trying to getNet::SSH::perlinstalled.  I did install
    > Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
    > without problem.
    >
    > But when Irun"perl-MCPAN -e 'installNet::SSH::perl'" the whole
    > thing hangs at this point:
    >
    > -----------------
    > Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Cipher::DES.3pm
    > Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::packet.3pm
    > Manifying blib/man3/Net::SSH::perl::Key::RSA.3pm
    >   /usr/bin/make  -- OK
    > Running make test
    > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl"-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    > "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
    > t/01-
    > compile.....ok
    > t/02-
    > buffer......ok
    > t/03-packet......ok 1/10
    > -----------------
    >
    > At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes.  CTRL
    > +C breaks out and aborts the installation.  I see plenty of posts
    > about this when searching with Google, but no answer.  Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch,perl5.8.8 that ships with
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > Stéphane

    I've had the exact same experience with FreeBSD 7.0. Is there a
    solution?
    , Aug 24, 2008

  3. Stephane Charette

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Stephane Charette <>:
    > I'm trying to get Net::SSH::perl installed. I did install
    > Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
    > without problem.
    >
    > But when I run "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::perl'" the whole
    > thing hangs at this point:
    >
    > t/03-packet......ok 1/10
    >
    > At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes. CTRL
    > +C breaks out and aborts the installation. I see plenty of posts
    > about this when searching with Google, but no answer. Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch, perl 5.8.8 that ships with
    > Ubuntu.

    I get the same result here. After a little investigation, it appears to
    be a bug in the test suite, but I don't really understand it. What seems
    to be happening is

    The test replaces the internal socket handle with a tied FH, so it
    can test what gets sent and received.

    This tied filehandle claims to have a fileno of 255 (but doesn't, of
    course).

    This filehandle is passed to an IO::Select instance, which tries to
    select on fd 255.

    This fd isn't open, so the select hangs.

    I wonder if the behaviour of select(2) when passed a bitmap not
    containing any open filehandles has changed? In any case, I would say
    it's clearly a bug: report it to the author, if it hasn't been already.

    Ben

    --
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.
    Ben Morrow, Aug 24, 2008
  4. Stephane Charette

    Guest

    From cpan I got to the same point then <ctrl+c> exited. I then re-ran
    with "force install Net::SSH::perl".

    I'm using Ubuntu JeOS 8.04.1 (32-bit).

    On Aug 24, 1:21 am, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth Stephane Charette <>:
    >

    > > I'm trying to get Net::SSH::perl installed.  I did install
    > > Math::BigInt::GMP, Math::GMP, Math::pari, and various other modules
    > > without problem.

    > > But when I run "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSH::perl'" the whole
    > > thing hangs at this point:

    > > t/03-packet......ok 1/10

    > > At this point it consumes none of the CPU, but never completes.  CTRL
    > > +C breaks out and aborts the installation.  I see plenty of posts
    > > about this when searching with Google, but no answer.  Can anyone
    > > help?

    > > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04-32bit i686 arch, perl 5.8.8 that ships with
    > > Ubuntu.

    > I get the same result here. After a little investigation, it appears to
    > be a bug in the test suite, but I don't really understand it. What seems
    > to be happening is
    >
    >     The test replaces the internal socket handle with a tied FH, so it
    >     can test what gets sent and received.
    >
    >     This tied filehandle claims to have a fileno of 255 (but doesn't,of
    >     course).
    >
    >     This filehandle is passed to an IO::Select instance, which tries to
    >     select on fd 255.
    >
    >     This fd isn't open, so the select hangs.
    >
    > I wonder if the behaviour of select(2) when passed a bitmap not
    > containing any open filehandles has changed? In any case, I would say
    > it's clearly a bug: report it to the author, if it hasn't been already.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > --
    >                We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    >                   we grow old because we stop playing.

    , Aug 29, 2008