07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

Timezone: GMT

Michael Linfield

require 'ping'
LoadError: no such file to load -- ping
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

if you desperately need it (though yes it seems it wasn't included in
the source package) just move it over from 1.8 or download it
separately.

mv /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ping.rb /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/

Not the best solution but work with wut yuh got!

- Mac

Ken Bloom

if you desperately need it (though yes it seems it wasn't included in
the source package) just move it over from 1.8 or download it
separately.

mv /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ping.rb /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/

Not the best solution but work with wut yuh got!

- Mac

That's a horrible idea. If the 1.8 version works, include it in your
project, but don't go modifying your standard library.

Michael Linfield

That's a horrible idea. If the 1.8 version works, include it in your
project, but don't go modifying your standard library.

Hence "not the best solution". And it wouldn't be modifying the
'standard' library because ping wasn't included in the standard library;
therefore it isn't standard. I would agree with you if I was replacing
Find or something with a 1.8 distro file, a file that was already
included in the standard library.

If ping is re-added in a future release, the 1.8v of ping will be
overwritten.