Having problems crashing IDLE

Quintessence

I've been learning Python over the past week or so and I keep running into an issue where opening saved files will crash IDLE (not consistently, sometimes the same files with no changes will open and sometimes not). I was originally running Python 3.2.3, but I removed it and upgraded to 3.3.0 hopingto resolve the issue (but to no avail). While troubleshooting, someone suggested I try opening IDLE via command prompt. When I do that IDLE never crashes, but It does show this error (screenshot):
http://i.imgur.com/1JqiRsY.png (3.2.3)
http://i.imgur.com/5KxE88K.png (3.3.0)

Some additional info:
- When IDLE crashes it does not display an error, every open window simply closes.
- IDLE has never crashed after opening a file when I open it via command prompt, even if it was previously consistently displaying that behavior.
- I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates.

Has anyone ever encountered this? What does the error mean?

Peter Otten

Quintessence said:
I've been learning Python over the past week or so and I keep running into
an issue where opening saved files will crash IDLE (not consistently,
sometimes the same files with no changes will open and sometimes not). I
was originally running Python 3.2.3, but I removed it and upgraded to
3.3.0 hoping to resolve the issue (but to no avail). While
troubleshooting, someone suggested I try opening IDLE via command prompt.
When I do that IDLE never crashes, but It does show this error
(screenshot): http://i.imgur.com/1JqiRsY.png (3.2.3)
http://i.imgur.com/5KxE88K.png (3.3.0)

Your posts are easier to deal with if you provide tracebacks as text.
Here's what I get:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1442, in
__call__
return self.func(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/idlelib/MultiCall.py", line 174, in handler
doafterhandler.pop()()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/idlelib/MultiCall.py", line 221, in
<lambda>
doit = lambda: self.bindedfuncs[triplet[2]][triplet[0]].remove(func)
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list
Some additional info:
- When IDLE crashes it does not display an error, every open window simply
closes. - IDLE has never crashed after opening a file when I open it via
command prompt, even if it was previously consistently displaying that
behavior. - I am running Windows 7 x64 with all updates.

Has anyone ever encountered this? What does the error mean?

This looks like the following bug:

http://bugs.python.org/issue8900

You might be able to work around it by selecting the

"At Startup Open Shell Window" option under

Options-->Configure IDLE-->General-->Startup Preferences

Quintessence

Thank you for the advice! I checked the setting you specified and "Open Shell Window" at startup was already selected. Is there another bug this could be related to?

Thank you!

Quintessence said:
Thank you for the advice! I checked the setting you specified and "Open
Shell Window" at startup was already selected. Is there another bug this
could be related to?

None that I and google could find. Close idle and remove (or rename) the
..idlerc directory in your home folder, and then start Idle again.

If the problem persists it is very unlikely that it is configuration-
related. In that case I suggest that you file a bug report yourself or amend
your observations to the existing one.