Having problems with Gem version on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Rick DeNatale, Aug 30, 2009.

  1. So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
    totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.

    It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this right?

    $ which gem
    /usr/bin/gem
    $ gem --version
    1.2.0

    Okay, so I guess I need to update

    $ sudo gem update --system
    Password:
    Updating RubyGems
    Updating rubygems-update
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
    undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
    #<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e16b8

    And some of the (old) stuff I found via google says to do it again,
    but I get exactly the same thing, so then plan B is suggested

    $ sudo gem install rubygems-update
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
    1 gem installed

    $ update_rubygems
    Installing RubyGems 1.2.0
    mkdir -p /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8
    mkdir -p /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin
    install -c -m 0644 rbconfig/datadir.rb
    /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rbconfig/datadir.rb
    ... # Lots of install lines snipped
    install -c -m 0644 ubygems.rb /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/ubygems.rb
    cp gem /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
    install -c -m 0755
    /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem
    rm /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
    rm -f /source_cache
    Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri
    Installing rubygems-1.2.0 ri into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/ri
    Installing rubygems-1.2.0 rdoc into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/rdoc

    ---

    =3D Announce: RubyGems Release 1.2.0

    Release 1.2.0 adds new features and fixes some bugs.
    [snip]
    If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
    you need to do is:

    $ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

    (Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
    installed rubygems-update gems).

    If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
    do it in two steps:

    $ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
    $ update_rubygems (... here too)

    [ Sounds like what I did]

    If `gem` was installed by a previous RubyGems installation, you may need
    to remove it by hand.

    -------

    $ gem --version
    1.2.0

    WTF?????????

    Okay so where is the gem binary?

    $ which gem
    /usr/bin/gem
    $ ls -al /usr/bin/gem
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 29 14:15 /usr/bin/gem ->
    ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

    So, is there a newer rubygems-update?

    $ gem list -b rubygems-update

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    rubygems-update (1.2.0)

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    rubygems-update (1.3.5)
    \e]0;rick=E2=9E=9C ~ $ gem sources
    *** CURRENT SOURCES ***

    http://gems.rubyforge.org/
    http://gems.github.com

    So let's try installing that:

    $ gem update rubygems-update
    Updating installed gems
    Updating rubygems-update
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
    undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
    #<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e1690>

    Okay lets's try installing the specific version:

    $ gem install --remote --version 1.3.5 rubygems-update
    Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
    1 gem installed

    And the version gets ignored.

    Any ideas about how to get out of this loop???

    --=20
    Rick DeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Aug 30, 2009

  2. Rick DeNatale

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
    > totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
    >
    > It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
    > right?
    >
    > $ which gem
    > /usr/bin/gem
    > $ gem --version
    > 1.2.0

    huh... I get:

    > 501 % gem --version
    > 1.3.5
    > 502 % which gem
    > /usr/bin/gem
    > 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
    > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ -> ../../
    > System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

    So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/

    Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your
    machine? Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to
    install via tarball. This is a known and published bug. You're also
    doing several steps w/o sudo.
    Ryan Davis, Aug 30, 2009

  3. Rick DeNatale

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
    > totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
    >
    > It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
    > right?
    >
    > $ which gem
    > /usr/bin/gem
    > $ gem --version
    > 1.2.0

    huh... I get:

    Ryan Davis, Aug 30, 2009
  4. On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Ryan Davis<> wrote:

    > On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:
    >
    >> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
    >> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
    >>
    >> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 =A0is this rig=

    ht?

    >> $ which gem
    >> /usr/bin/gem
    >> $ gem --version
    >> 1.2.0

    > huh... I get:
    >
    >> 501 % gem --version
    >> 1.3.5
    >> 502 % which gem
    >> /usr/bin/gem
    >> 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
    >> lrwxr-xr-x =A01 root =A0wheel =A071 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ ->
    >> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

    > So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/
    >
    > Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your machin=

    e?
    > Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to install via tarbal=

    l.
    > This is a known and published bug. You're also doing several steps w/o su=

    do.

    I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.

    I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

    --=20
    Rick DeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Aug 30, 2009
  5. Rick DeNatale

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Aug 29, 2009, at 18:46 , Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Ryan Davis<>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> On Aug 29, 2009, at 16:01 , Rick DeNatale wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
    >>> totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
    >>> right?
    >>>
    >>> $ which gem
    >>> /usr/bin/gem
    >>> $ gem --version
    >>> 1.2.0

    >> huh... I get:
    >>
    >>> 501 % gem --version
    >>> 1.3.5
    >>> 502 % which gem
    >>> /usr/bin/gem
    >>> 503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
    >>> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ ->
    >>> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/
    >>> bin/gem

    >> So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/
    >>
    >> Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your
    >> machine?
    >> Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to install via
    >> tarball.
    >> This is a known and published bug. You're also doing several steps
    >> w/o sudo.

    > I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.
    >
    > I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

    It would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done
    any of "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the
    issue.
    Ryan Davis, Aug 30, 2009
  6. On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ryan Davis<> wrote:
    > t would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done any of
    > "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the issue.

    Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
    of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
    I took the easy? way out.

    I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
    only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
    than normal yesterday.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Aug 30, 2009
  7. Rick DeNatale

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Aug 30, 2009, at 04:57, Rick DeNatale wrote:

    > On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ryan Davis<ryand-
    > > wrote:
    >> t would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever)
    >> done any of
    >> "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the issue.

    > Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
    > of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
    > I took the easy? way out.
    >
    > I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
    > only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
    > than normal yesterday.

    I guess 1.2's updater has more bugs than I thought :(

    The 1.3.x release notes mention a "Nothing to update" bug, but this
    seems to be different.
    Eric Hodel, Sep 1, 2009