Having problems with Gem version on Snow Leopard

Rick DeNatale

So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.

It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this right?

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem
$ gem --version
1.2.0

Okay, so I guess I need to update

$ sudo gem update --system
Password:
Updating RubyGems
Updating rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
#<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e16b8

And some of the (old) stuff I found via google says to do it again,
but I get exactly the same thing, so then plan B is suggested

$ sudo gem install rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
1 gem installed

$ update_rubygems
Installing RubyGems 1.2.0
mkdir -p /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8
mkdir -p /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin
install -c -m 0644 rbconfig/datadir.rb
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rbconfig/datadir.rb
... # Lots of install lines snipped
install -c -m 0644 ubygems.rb /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/ubygems.rb
cp gem /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
install -c -m 0755
/var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem
rm /var/folders/DV/DVi3x+y8HiSSTCLkEYVBpE+++TI/-Tmp-/gem
rm -f /source_cache
Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri
Installing rubygems-1.2.0 ri into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/ri
Installing rubygems-1.2.0 rdoc into /doc/rubygems-1.2.0/rdoc

---

=3D Announce: RubyGems Release 1.2.0

Release 1.2.0 adds new features and fixes some bugs.
[snip]
If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

[ Sounds like what I did]

If `gem` was installed by a previous RubyGems installation, you may need
to remove it by hand.

-------

$ gem --version
1.2.0

WTF?????????

Okay so where is the gem binary?

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem
$ ls -al /usr/bin/gem
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 29 14:15 /usr/bin/gem ->
../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

So, is there a newer rubygems-update?

$ gem list -b rubygems-update

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rubygems-update (1.2.0)

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rubygems-update (1.3.5)
\e]0;rick=E2=9E=9C ~ $ gem sources
*** CURRENT SOURCES ***

http://gems.rubyforge.org/
http://gems.github.com

So let's try installing that:

$ gem update rubygems-update
Updating installed gems
Updating rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)
undefined local variable or method `remote_gemspecs' for
#<Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand:0x1018e1690>

Okay lets's try installing the specific version:

$ gem install --remote --version 1.3.5 rubygems-update
Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.2.0
1 gem installed

And the version gets ignored.

Any ideas about how to get out of this loop???

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Ryan Davis

So, the migration to Snow Leopard has gone well, except that it's
totally bollixed up my ruby/rails development environment.

It looks like Snow Leopard shipped with gem version 1.2.0 is this
right?

$ which gem
/usr/bin/gem
$ gem --version
1.2.0

huh... I get:
501 % gem --version
1.3.5
502 % which gem
/usr/bin/gem
503 % ll /usr/bin/gem
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 71 Aug 28 16:05 /usr/bin/gem@ -> ../../
System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

So I have no idea why you're back at 1.2.0. :/

Can you make sure you don't have multiple ruby's installed on your
machine? Also, if you're really back at 1.2.0, then you NEED to
install via tarball. This is a known and published bug. You're also
doing several steps w/o sudo.

Ryan Davis

[...]

I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.

I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Ryan Davis

I've gone back an punted and installed ruby and gems from source.

I should have done the usual bypass surgery to begin with.

It would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done
any of "the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the
issue.

Rick DeNatale

t would have been nice to have figured it out. I haven't (ever) done any of
"the usual bypass surgery" so I have no means to reproduce the issue.

Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
I took the easy? way out.

I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
than normal yesterday.

--
Rick DeNatale

Eric Hodel

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Ryan Davis<ryand-

Yeah. It would have been nice to find the root cause, but it was one
of several bumps in my road to a Snow Leopard development machine and
I took the easy? way out.

I made the mistake of embarking on the system upgrade after getting
only three hours of sleep before, so I guess my I.Q. was even lower
than normal yesterday.

I guess 1.2's updater has more bugs than I thought :(

The 1.3.x release notes mention a "Nothing to update" bug, but this
seems to be different.