Height of a table in %

simon

I have simple html(aspx) page, but vertical height won't work.

Even if i had set the height of a table=100%, the table is not 100% height.

I spend a lot of time(my real page is more complicated) to figured it out that this won't work because of attribute of a page:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

I have visual studio 2005 beta2 and it appends this attribute to every page.

How can I get rid of this attribute or how can I set that height of a table in % will work?

Code of a page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<head></head>
<tR><td valign=top>
<tR><td valign=top >
<tR><td>

Grant Merwitz

The reason is your outter table is not 100%.
So the inner table is just spanning 100% of the outter table

try:

ALso the <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> can just be removed off the page after its created, and visual studio won't put it back
I have simple html(aspx) page, but vertical height won't work.

Even if i had set the height of a table=100%, the table is not 100% height.

I spend a lot of time(my real page is more complicated) to figured it out that this won't work because of attribute of a page:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

I have visual studio 2005 beta2 and it appends this attribute to every page.

How can I get rid of this attribute or how can I set that height of a table in % will work?

Code of a page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<head></head>
<tR><td valign=top>
<tR><td valign=top >
<tR><td>

simon

Thank you for your answer,

but even If outter table is 100% the inner table is not.

Just copy my code into notepad, save it as html file and try.

Any idea?

regards,SImon

[...]

Thats strange,
I set the outter table to height 100%, and it did nothing.
I then removed that line:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
and it worked perfectly

view attached
[...]

I know, it's strange.

I'm looking everywhere to find the solution, but I'm stuck.

Does anybody know the solution (without java script)?

thank you,Simon

[...]

I narrowed it down to be particularly the line "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"

Visual Studio 2003 places just:
at the top of the page, not the DTD reference.

Can you not just remove that line?

Do you need it in there, or does visual studio 2005 keep putting it back?
[...]

What does it mean? I guess that it stand there for some purpose and maybe some controls require it?

But I found something interesting:

if you append also the line:

than it works.

Do you know why?

regards,
Simon
[...]

What i remember from university

DTD stands for Date Type Definition, and was used with Xml files to standardise it or something.
(hmm, clearly my memory of university didn't stick)

But its probably using that defintion to set some standard in your HTML file (or rather XTHML - extended Html)
But i'm not that well versed in .NET 2.0 yet - so who knows what its trying to do.

Maybe start a new post asking what that line means and the effect it had on your page,
will be interesting to see why