Help - Changing the output of a repeater depending on the data

Henry Nelson

Hi all

I'm very new to dotNet and just trying to get my head around the right way
to do the thing that I would normally do in asp.

In asp I would loop through a recordset and output all the html dynamically
for the layout I want. I have seen some examples of
using a repeater and they seem to be the thing to use when you don't want a
table of results, but I'm not sure how to change the
<ItemTemplate> depending on the contents of the data.

For example if I wish a list of html links and headings in asp I would do
the following:-

'--------------------------------------------------

Response.Write "<TABLE BORDER=1 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=1>"
while not rs.eof
lngParent = CLng(rs("PARENT"))
lngEntity = CLng(rs("ENTITY"))
Response.Write "<TR>"
'##When the data in "PARENT" is 0 I want to display some text else I
want to output a blank cell then a link.
if lngParent = 0 then
Response.Write "<TH ALIGN=LEFT COLSPAN=2>" & trim(rs("PRODCODE")) &
"</TH>"
else
Response.Write "<TD width=20>&nbsp</TD><TD class=lnk1><A class='red'
HREF=""javascript:menu(" & lngEntity & ");"">" & trim(rs("PRODCODE")) &
"</A></TD>"

end if
Response.Write "</TR>"
rs.movenext
wend
Response.Write "</TABLE>"

'--------------------------------------------------

The javascript function "menu" would set a hidden field and submit the form.
Could someone give me an example of a repeater
using an "<asp:LinkButton .." or another method that would give me the same
result of the above code.

Could anyone suggest some good tutorials for aspx/dotNet - the ones I've
found so far are:-

http://docs.learnasp.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/quickstart.aspx
and
http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/

cheers

Henry

Hi all

[...]

got it working

<asp:placeholder runat="server"
Visible='<%#Container.DataItem("PARENT") = 0%>'>
Parent is equal to Zero!
</asp:placeholder>
<asp:placeholder runat="server"
Visible='<%#Container.DataItem("PARENT") <> 0%>'>
Parent is not equal to Zero
</asp:placeholder>

cheers

Henry