HELP: Convert 1 ASP page to ASP.NET

Dhruba Bandopadhyay

I need help converting a ASP page to ASP.NET. I have a ASP page that is in
the form of:

<% Sub Start() Call DrawPage1() Call DrawPage2() End Sub

Sub DrawPage1() %>

<!-- Full HTML code for a independent page 1 -->

<% End Sub

Sub DrawPage2() %>

<!-- Full HTML code for a independent page 2 -->

<% End Sub %>

-----------------

Basically I have many functions (more than 10) to display a full HTML page.
Depending on a condition, a different page is displayed by the appropriate
function.

In ASP.NET I understand that function declarations must be in server
compiled sections <script runat="server"></script>. This means all my HTML
code must be wrapped up line-by-line in Response.Write() calls, and escaping
the double-quotes. This is very tedious & time-consuming. Does anyone know
any other quicker way to convert my ASP page?

Guest

Don't convert. Rewrite.

While you have a bit of an MVC pattern going, which is common in ASP.NET, a
simple conversion is a bad way to go since ASP and ASP.NET use different
methodologies.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Flinky Wisty Pomm

There's not really much point in moving a page across to ASP.Net if
you're going to write big chunks of procedural code and thousands of
Response.Writes.

If you really want to move the page across to the new platform, a
rewrite would be better.

In ASP.Net you'll find it much easier to show/disable specific
controls, or to swap out entire pages with the MultiView control. There
aren't many occasions when you would use Response.Write because it's a
completely different programming model.

Dhruba Bandopadhyay

Thanks guys

But it would be great if you advised me on a good way to go.

Guest

Dhruba,
You are asking people to explain to you how the ASP.NET page model works on
a newsgroup, which will be an effort in frustration. Install the Quickstarts
(installs with both Visual Studio.NET or the .NET Framework SDK) and start
working through the examples, in the language of your choice. You'll thank
us later.
Peter