    other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
    one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.

    Can anyone tell me why that is? Does IE not recognize opacity?

    Jake Barnes, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Jake Barnes

    Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote:
    > Please go look at this page using FireFox:
    >
    > http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/
    >
    > Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
    > in. It's a nice effect.
    >
    > Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
    > other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
    > one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why that is? Does IE not recognize opacity?

    I believe that IE does not recognize opacity the same way as other
    browsers. You might get some tips for how to solve the problem by
    looking in the Yahoo! UI DOM library

    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/dom/YAHOO.util.Dom.html#setStyle

    Peter

    , Aug 31, 2006

  3. Jake Barnes

    Randy Webb Guest

    Jake Barnes said the following on 8/31/2006 12:01 PM:
    > Please go look at this page using FireFox:
    >
    > http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/
    >
    > Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
    > in. It's a nice effect.
    >
    > Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
    > other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
    > one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why that is?

    Because IE does not support the opacity that Firefox does.

    > Does IE not recognize opacity?

    No. But it does use Transformations, which were the reason Mozilla
    implemented opacity to start with.

    View this page:

    In IE, and use the Next/Previous buttons. It uses very IE specific code
    but it fades the images in and out like you want. Specifically, it uses
    document.all but that could/should be changed to gEBI.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    wrote:
    > Jake Barnes wrote:
    > > Please go look at this page using FireFox:
    > >
    > > http://www.ralphkrubner.com/Commercial/
    > >
    > > Click the "Next" button a few times. The images fade out and then fade
    > > in. It's a nice effect.
    > >
    > > Now do try to do the same in IE (6.0). The images don't fade into each
    > > other. Instead, they hesitate, which is annoying, and then jump from
    > > one image to the other, suddenly, with no fade.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me why that is? Does IE not recognize opacity?

    > I believe that IE does not recognize opacity the same way as other
    > browsers. You might get some tips for how to solve the problem by
    > looking in the Yahoo! UI DOM library
    >
    > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/dom/YAHOO.util.Dom.html#setStyle

    So IE returns "undefined" if I try to get the opacity of an element? So
    I could test for that and maybe do a straight slide show, with no
    graceful fades, if opacity is undefined?

    Jake Barnes, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Jake Barnes

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote on 02 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > So IE returns "undefined" if I try to get the opacity of an element? So
    > I could test for that and maybe do a straight slide show, with no
    > graceful fades, if opacity is undefined?

    Why not use IE's filters for fading in that case?

    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/
    filter/reference/filters/fade.asp>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 2, 2006
  6. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > Jake Barnes wrote on 02 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    > > So IE returns "undefined" if I try to get the opacity of an element? So
    > > I could test for that and maybe do a straight slide show, with no
    > > graceful fades, if opacity is undefined?

    > Why not use IE's filters for fading in that case?

    Mostly lack of time - this is a project I was suppose to put one day
    into and instead I put 3 days into it. But also, the IE filters seem
    terribly non-standard to me. Won't IE be supporting opacity in the
    future? It's an official part of CSS2. IE once lead the way in
    implementing CSS. They've since lost their lead, but I assume at some
    point they'll catch up.

    Jake Barnes, Sep 3, 2006
  7. Jake Barnes

    Evertjan. Guest

    Jake Barnes wrote on 03 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Evertjan. wrote:
    >> Jake Barnes wrote on 02 sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >>
    >> > So IE returns "undefined" if I try to get the opacity of an
    >> > element? So I could test for that and maybe do a straight slide
    >> > show, with no graceful fades, if opacity is undefined?

    >> Why not use IE's filters for fading in that case?

    > Mostly lack of time - this is a project I was suppose to put one day
    > into and instead I put 3 days into it. But also, the IE filters seem
    > terribly non-standard to me. Won't IE be supporting opacity in the
    > future? It's an official part of CSS2. IE once lead the way in
    > implementing CSS. They've since lost their lead, but I assume at some
    > point they'll catch up.

    "terribly non-standard" ?

    Do you want the standard,
    or get your page on the web looking like your concept?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 3, 2006