Help! I don't know where to turn.

mfeher

Greetings all,

As there is a multiplicity of Java newsgroups, I am having a hard time
figuring out which group to post this to, so please bear with me.

As of late, on my home computer, I have the Java icon in the system
tray. It informs me when there's Java updates to be had. I click, get
the downloads, and hope they install. But they do not, and I
repeatedly get a popup with something to the effect that the proxy
settings are incorrect. (It's like some Internet setting is preventing
the installation from working.)

Anyway, I decided last night to try and debug the problem. I first
checked the console and played around with some of the settings to no
avail. Went to all the console tabs and tried changing things that
looked applicable. No dice. On the Proxies tab, everything was empty.

Then I went to java.sun.com and decided I have old packages and was
going to upgrade everything. As far as I can tell, I downloaded the
following:

- the JS2E 1.5.0 (?)
- the JDK
- the JVM
- the NetBeans 4.1 (?) bundle
- the documentation tree

So this seems hunky-dory. The problem now is two-fold:

(a) I can't start the Java console anymore (I saw it once and it looks
totally different than the previous version) though everytime I
doubleclick the coffee mug icon in the Control Panel, it starts a new
instance of javaw.exe.
(b) Now my Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6 won't connect to my email server to
retrieve my email.

Can anyone provide some assistance or point me to the right place?
Many thanks!

Mike

HalcyonWild

[...]

If you have downloaded the J2SE 1.5.0 SDK (or the JDK 1.5.0) and ran
the installation, you do not need to install JVM (i assume you mean
JRE). The java console will look different if you have installed the
JDK.
I am not sure if you can keep two jdks installed. It is possible, but
if you want to save yourself frustation, uninstall the previous jdk
(and jre. Installing the jdk installs jre too along with it. :) ) and
install the new one.
Dont know about netbeans. Possibly, it needs the JAVA_HOME variable
set.
Also the documentation is totally separate. You just need to unzip to a
folder to read it, and not install. Its just a bunch of html files. Do
not worry about it. You can have as many docs of different versions as
you want.

Probably you messed up the internet settings so the problem with
thunderbird. nothing to do with java i suppose. not sure since i have
not used thunderbird yet.

jan V

Are you running a firewall like ZoneAlarm? Although I've used ZA for quite a
while I keep forgetting that it can silently block connections... and lots
of programs break this way.

mfeher

Hi Jan,

No, I had to stop using ZA Pro once WinXP SP2 came out...then after all
the trouble *that* caused me, I stopped using the SP as well. The
basic issue is:

Prior to me downloading all the Java stuff last night, I had proxy
trouble with the Java downloader.
After downloading the Java stuff, I have proxy trouble with the
downloader, Thunderbird won't download email, and I can't seem to get
the Java console/control panel to start.

Mike

mfeher

Hi John,

No, I am not (as far as I know). I am running direct from my cable
modem to the Internet via my ISP.

Right now, I have a new version of Thunderbird (1.0.6) and the JRE 1.5.
I recently ran all my adware, spyware, and pestware tools, as well as
two registry cleaners. No change in the situation. Also, the Java
Control Panel will not open from the system tray or the Control Panel
no matter what I do. All it does it start another Java process in the
Task Manager and nothing appears. Also, I don't know if there's
supposed to be a Java Plug-In icon in the Control Panel either, but
some websites have suggested it. I see no such icon.

I've tried searching high and low and figure I'm SOL since Sun doesn't
offer any simple email support.

Mike