Help - I'm getting random values from com-object

alfred.sehmueller

Hello,

please help me with a problem that drives me crazy:

We've migrated our Legacy ASP application to ASP.NET some time ago.
What's left is a a custom com-object (VB6) for the core-functions. We
had no trouble with this combination so far.

Now I get random values from a function of the com-object that simply
returns an Integer. And I get this problem only on one machine (out of
~ 50).

Here the facts:
- com-object function "getFileType" uses msxml to get the value of a
node (out of a config-xml-file).
- asp.net uses the function and gets an int.

We've changed the node-value in the config file serverall times today
(values: 100, 1003, 103). Now even after a server-reboot we get this
values in random order -> But only the value 1003 is really in the
configfile. If we try a vbscript to consum the same function everything
is alright.

I know that microsoft doesn't recommend (and support) the use of msxml
in a .NET-Application:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815112

But I guess this can't be the problem as the use of msxml is
encapsulated in our vb6-com-object. The return value is a simple int.

Do you have any ideas? Seems like we've some kind of caching problem
but it is not the ie cache, not a proxy server, and a reboot didn't
help

Thanks for your help

Alfred

Bruce Barker

be sure aspcompat is set to true, as asp.net does not support vb6 apartmernt
model com objects by default. note: they are not supported by webservices,
you have to create your own controlling thread.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)