help: infamous "the compiler failed with error 128" problem

Thomas

the webpages on our .net server ran fine for almost a year now. in the last
few weeks however, more and more occurences of the error "the compiler
failed with error code 128" have shown up, despite of no changes in the
system [except for hotfixes].

the error shows up randomly. sometimes we have to restart iis 3 times a day,
sometimes no problem for 3-4 days at all. it always affects
websites/application pools in a random way. restarting iis fixes the problem
temporarily, but left us to deal with the now quite angry customers.

no information on ms' kb, and no hint on google as well that helped in our
case. we do not have a custom isapi filter running, we do not have an
antivirus software running. aside from some custom .net components the
system is a vanilla win2k3 standard server with sp1 applied. we also do not
have a backdoor or virus on our system (one user suggested to look into
this).

what we do have are 16 application pools, each one running under a different
user context. the problem might be related to not having enough desktop
heap. still i have not found any information on how to fix this. also i
wonder why it would only begin to be a problem after ~1 year...

i'm getting quite desperate and frustrated by now as i'm running out of
ideas. any help is appreciated...

thanks,
thomas