help: infamous "the compiler failed with error 128" problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thomas, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    the webpages on our .net server ran fine for almost a year now. in the last
    few weeks however, more and more occurences of the error "the compiler
    failed with error code 128" have shown up, despite of no changes in the
    system [except for hotfixes].

    the error shows up randomly. sometimes we have to restart iis 3 times a day,
    sometimes no problem for 3-4 days at all. it always affects
    websites/application pools in a random way. restarting iis fixes the problem
    temporarily, but left us to deal with the now quite angry customers.

    no information on ms' kb, and no hint on google as well that helped in our
    case. we do not have a custom isapi filter running, we do not have an
    antivirus software running. aside from some custom .net components the
    system is a vanilla win2k3 standard server with sp1 applied. we also do not
    have a backdoor or virus on our system (one user suggested to look into
    this).

    what we do have are 16 application pools, each one running under a different
    user context. the problem might be related to not having enough desktop
    heap. still i have not found any information on how to fix this. also i
    wonder why it would only begin to be a problem after ~1 year...

    i'm getting quite desperate and frustrated by now as i'm running out of
    ideas. any help is appreciated...

    thanks,
    thomas

    Thomas, Sep 7, 2005