help: loop within a loop -how to display data in 3 columns by 4 rows format

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by addi, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. addi

    addi Guest

    Well I got the data to display the way I wanted using the example provided
    in the following links. Now I am stuck with another dilema. I am trying to
    implement paging within my example and it does not seem to page thru. I have
    used two independent examples (1 for paging, the other for displaying data)
    and they both seem to work fine. When I combine them, it only processes the
    first 9 records and paging does not seem to work. Any input on where the
    code is broken would be greatly appreciated. The following is a working
    example, using the pubs database in SQL Server.

    <%
    set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.Open "DSN=wbsql", "sa", "golf"

    set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rs.CursorLocation = 3 ' adUseClient
    rs.Open "Select * from pubs..authors", conn
    intPageCount = rs.PageCount
    rs.PageSize = 9

    Select Case Request("Action")
    case "<<"
    intpage = 1
    case "<"
    intpage = Request("intpage")-1
    if intpage < 1 then intpage = 1
    case ">"
    intpage = Request("intpage")+1
    if intpage > intPageCount then intpage = IntPageCount
    Case ">>"
    intpage = intPageCount
    case else
    intpage = 1
    end select
    %>
    <%
    numCols = 3
    intPage = rs.AbsolutePage
    rsPageSize = rs.PageSize
    i = 0

    Do while i < rsPageSize
    needFooter = true

    if i mod numCols = 0 then
    response.write "<tr>"
    end if

    response.write "<td align=center>"
    response.Write "<P>" & rs(0) & "</P>"
    response.Write "<P>" & rs(1) & "</P>"
    response.Write "<P>" & rs(2) & "</P>"

    response.write "</td>"

    if i mod numCols = numCols - 1 then
    response.write "</tr>"
    needFooter = false
    end if
    i = i + 1
    rs.MoveNext
    Loop

    if needFooter then
    response.write "<td colspan=" &_
    numCols - (i mod numCols) &_
    "> </td></tr>"
    end if
    response.write "</table>"

    rs.Close
    set rs = Nothing
    conn.Close
    set conn = nothing
    %>
    <%

    %>
    <form name="MovePage" action="test1.asp" method="post" ID="Form1">
    <input type="hidden" name="intpage" value="<%=intpage%>" ID="Hidden1">
    <input type="submit" name="action" value="<<" ID="Submit1">
    <input type="submit" name="action" value="<" ID="Submit2">
    <input type="submit" name="action" value=">" ID="Submit3">
    <input type="submit" name="action" value=">>" ID="Submit4">
    Page: <%=Intpage & " of " & intpagecount%>
    </form>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Best Regards,

    Addi

    "ljb" <.> wrote in message news:...
    > Even though Addi didn't specifically ask I'll mention a slight

    "enhancement"
    > to the code here.
    >
    > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myFirstNameATlane34dotKOMM> wrote in message
    > > Take a look at the samples here. http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2247
    > >
    > > Ray at home
    > >

    > I like to see my tables present data ordered such that columns are read

    from
    > top down rather than rows across. To do that almost always requires an

    array
    > (unless you use XML and XSLT) that can be accessed by index. In the second
    > example with a recordset that can be accomplished by creating an array

    with

    addi, Dec 31, 2003