Help me to solve this C++ problem

Claudio Puviani

osmium said:
If the instructor had meant the use of an index, the following would not
have made any sense:

If he was talking about an indexed file he would simply have said "Remove
the entry from the index". This paragraph makes his intent crystal clear,
regardless of the fact that he may have used an imperfectly chosen word
here or there. The elements are munged to provide
privacy/security/whatever.

Marking records as available is an ancient, if inefficient, technique and can
perfectly coexist with the use of index files. The index files and record files
are often managed separately, with the latter using free lists, markers (less
efficient) or other allocation mechanism. Whether the record is cleared or not
is, again, completely independent of how you deallocate the block.

If you don't have books on the subject, I suggest you have a look at Faircom's
on-line documentation: http://www.faircom.com/support/mans.shtml#ctpman, but
please stop making incorrect blanket statements. There's no shame in not knowing
something, but you look extremely bad when you impart incorrect information on
people who are trying to learn.

Claudio Puviani